Redfoot Food Items

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Wow really!!?! OMG some of the other sites have it all over the RF.

But prickly pear cactus/cactus pads without thorns are ok?

Is aloe dangerous? I’d like to put one in the enclosure for some easy green. Still working on organic fern and spider plants
My Redfoot love cactus. And even though I'm aware that the glochids are harmless, I usually wipe off all of the spikes. Or feed only the tiny, new pads that have the big, soft spikes.
Aloe is definitely edible. And grows like a weed here in Florida. But it's one of the few things that seem to be revolting to my Redfoot. If they take a bite, they'll use a foot to try to wipe the taste away.
It would be a great addition to my free and available foods list. Shame.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
To be fair to the tortoises, I’ve tried aloe before offering it to my sulcata. Super bitter, kinda nasty (to me, anyway). Understandably, he didn’t eat it either.

ND135

Maryland
Yes! It is! (I took a bite too :) ). Opuntia is way more tasty :))
That's GREAT!!!! What a good tort parent you are! I just thought gentle cacti would be easy greens to keep alive in an enclosure and with this knowledge I'd likely keep it higher up (in its little clay pot) for aesthetics and not for food.
You are brave! LOL

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Cacti likes a lot of sun. In the redfoots enclosure, I'm afraid it will not thrive. Pothos plant is hardy and gives lots of shade (and leaves to munch), boston ferns like shade and humid environment. And prayer plant seems to survive as well. Spider plants may be okay too. Tradescantia is a wimp: great decoration, but can't withstand "the tortoise power".

ND135

Maryland
Cacti likes a lot of sun. In the redfoots enclosure, I'm afraid it will not thrive. Pothos plant is hardy and gives lots of shade (and leaves to munch), boston ferns like shade and humid environment. And prayer plant seems to survive as well. Spider plants may be okay too. Tradescantia is a wimp: great decoration, but can't withstand "the tortoise power".
Makes perfect sense. Cacti are not rainforest plants. Duh Natalie LOL