Redfoot Food Items

ND135

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Sorry for all of the questions lately. At our annual vet visit the vet recommended tomatoes bell peppers and Timothy hay for my Redfoot to eat.

Timothy hay? Loose? Soaked? I didn’t think they were “grazers”. We eat lots of squash zucchini leafy greens mushroom mango berries and occasional banana. What grasses and hay can they eat?

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Timothy hay is the worst hay. If they even eat hay, orchard grass hay would be the better one. But I don't think they do eat hay.
@ZEROPILOT can help more here.

ND135

Maryland
Timothy hay is the worst hay. If they even eat hay, orchard grass hay would be the better one. But I don't think they do eat hay.
Thanks my gut thought it didn’t sound normal or standard for them.

Yes. zeropilot is awesome!

Thanks for caring.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Well, it looks to me, that his diet now is better, than what vet recommends..

While they need fiber, leafy greens provide enough.. From a recent thread I remember, that RF intestine is shorter than, for example, sulcatas and as such better suited for processing of high sugar, low fiber foods (quick in - quick out). Long-fibers just won't be digested.

Tomatoes and bell peppers, I guess, for the increased vitamine A... As any yellow/orange vegs and fruit (such as mango or grated carrots). These can be added to the ration on occasion.

Did the vet explain his suggestions?

ND135

Maryland
Well, it looks to me, that his diet now is better, than what vet recommends..

While they need fiber, leafy greens provide enough.. From a recent thread I remember, that RF intestine is shorter than, for example, sulcatas and as such better suited for processing of high sugar, low fiber foods (quick in - quick out). Long-fibers just won't be digested.

Tomatoes and bell peppers, I guess, for the increased vitamine A... As any yellow/orange vegs and fruit (such as mango or grated carrots). These can be added to the ration on occasion.

Did the vet explain his suggestions?
You are correct. Occasional bell pepper and tomato the vet recommended for vitamins. I give vitamin powder once a week and calcium powder 2x/week. Lightning takes these items when absorbed in food. If “dust” is in the food he won’t eat it. So the bet was suggesting I add these for vitamins.

The Timothy Hay made me pause so I thought I’d ask about all here.

We do fruit 2x/week
Greens daily (change combo every few days)
Zucchini squash sweet potato (rotation) carrot slivers (so far he won’t eat carrots).
Occasional hard boiled egg or shrimp for protein.

Still need to grow flowers for him this year (our first full year together). He won’t eat dry flowers even if I put them in his water but I’ll keep trying and look for dandelions this year.

Thanks for any and all advice

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Sounds like a good diet to me. I would add mushrooms (they like it and it's part of their natural diet). Anything you can add for variety is great, like opuntia pads and fruits (sold in some ethnic stores), papaya. Some invertebrates or boiled chicken breast for protein variety.

Digs for Animals

Burbank, CA
Interesting! Do you have any links you can supply to learn more about different hay types for tortoises? (i.e. I use Timothy for Gopherus, as it seemed the most palatable)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Interesting! Do you have any links you can supply to learn more about different hay types for tortoises? (i.e. I use Timothy for Gopherus, as it seemed the most palatable)
Actually Timothy is the least palatable. Very woody.
Orchard grass hay is the one to feed.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am not ZEROPILOT but I did learn from him...I keep 1 Redfoot, she'll be 3 this year and I offer her everything. I am so used to other species of tortoise who have a restricted type diet that it is fun to feed Layla...DSCN1713.JPG

I only offer her squash once a week or less...it is Not a staple of hers...DSCN2050.JPG
if mushrooms are on her plate next to red berries or blueberries she will eat all the mushroom pieces before bites of anything else...here is a sample of her daily diet...raspberries, blackberries, blueberries strawberries melons of some sort, mushrooms...tomorrow it will be different, but always a wide variety of stuff...DSCN2435.JPGDSCN2435.JPG
Redfoot are so easy to feed...hardboiled eggs are another....I smash the egg a bit so it's easier to bite, Layla eats shell and all. I don't offer hay as it is not really a regular part of their diet...and I would rather she do without than eat moldy hay...Redfoot are extremely easy to feed.if you are having a problem feeding any Redfoot, it's the keeper's problem. not the tortoise's

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Timothy is hard stems and not much taste...I feed locally grown grass hay...(the Willamette Valley In Oregon) and it's the first cutting and it smells sweet and looks like gold...Personally, I have had great naps in my tortoise shed in that gorgeous hay...try feeding grass hay to your gopherus, they will go insane for it...really...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've never seen a Redfoot eat hay of any type. Not in all of my years. Aside from the hay that's in MAZURI 5M21 that they do eat.
Their fiber content comes from the green, leafy matter in the diet. And that diet list is just about endless.
Almost any fresh, unprocessed food that you eat, he/she can eat. Including meat protein.
My Redfoot almost always eat over 60% fruit. The other 40% would be things like hibiscus leaves and flowers, cactus, vegetable matter, Mazuri, meat, eggs, spring mix type lettuces Including kale and other greens, etc.
In my situation the hibiscus leaves provide most of the fiber. If you own a Redfoot, try to grow a few hibiscus plants.

ND135

Maryland
Sounds like a good diet to me. I would add mushrooms (they like it and it's part of their natural diet). Anything you can add for variety is great, like opuntia pads and fruits (sold in some ethnic stores), papaya. Some invertebrates or boiled chicken breast for protein variety.
Perfect thank you!
Its funny. I can't get him to eat aloe or cactus pads. Of course, I keep trying in small bits. I forget about papaya. That's a good one!!!

ND135

Maryland
Yeah. Timothy Hay sounded off to me. Hay in general for a Redfoot feels off. My Redfoot does not even eat grass when I take him outside. He is not interested.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Perfect thank you!

Its funny. I can't get him to eat aloe or cactus pads. Of course, I keep trying in small bits. I forget about papaya. That's a good one!!!
Well, your RF is very similar to mine :) No dried flowers, ignores cactus pads and aloe...

I don't give up, though. Thin slices of opuntia with mushrooms worked a couple of times (with a face full of disgust when she's got that she's being tricked). Perhaps, early years diet matters. I was told to feed carrots, broccoli and green peppers - I'm afraid that was what she ate since hatching.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yeah. Timothy Hay sounded off to me. Hay in general for a Redfoot feels off. My Redfoot does not even eat grass when I take him outside. He is not interested.
Well.. She tells it was a pure accident...

Attachments

• PXL_20230809_103548077.jpg
    PXL_20230809_103548077.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

ND135

Maryland
I've never seen a Redfoot eat hay of any type. Not in all of my years. Aside from the hay that's in MAZURI 5M21 that they do eat.
Their fiber content comes from the green, leafy matter in the diet. And that diet list is just about endless.
Almost any fresh, unprocessed food that you eat, he/she can eat. Including meat protein.
My Redfoot almost always eat over 60% fruit. The other 40% would be things like hibiscus leaves and flowers, cactus, vegetable matter, Mazuri, meat, eggs, spring mix type lettuces Including kale and other greens, etc.
In my situation the hibiscus leaves provide most of the fiber. If you own a Redfoot, try to grow a few hibiscus plants.
Thanks ZEROPILOT!
We just bought some seeds for Hibiscus and a garden bed for indoors to get them started.
Also planning to grow aloe.
Thanks for confirming my gut on the hay :) This forum is great!!

ND135

Maryland
Well, your RF is very similar to mine :) No dried flowers, ignores cactus pads and aloe...

I don't give up, though. Thin slices of opuntia with mushrooms worked a couple of times (with a face full of disgust when she's got that she's being tricked). Perhaps, early years diet matters. I was told to feed carrots, broccoli and green peppers - I'm afraid that was what she ate since hatching.
Ah! The face of disgust - I know it well LOL. All we can do is keep trying. Mine came from a pet store so I think they fed him pellets and some greens. So it has been a process. We are all here for each other. Thanks for all of the solid advice!

ND135

Maryland
My RF also don't eat aloe.
Wow really!!?! OMG some of the other sites have it all over the RF.

But prickly pear cactus/cactus pads without thorns are ok?

Is aloe dangerous? I’d like to put one in the enclosure for some easy green. Still working on organic fern and spider plants