Are your Hermann's not morning lovers?

We've had Geronimo for 2 months now and he's doing great and a joy to have around. He doesn't seem to be a morning person lol, which makes him fit in this household well. He prefers his meals in the the evening. Just wondering if anyone else has picky little guys and if your guys are evening partiers? LOL

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
If your tort is slow to get going in the morning, it's probably because temperatures are too cool overnight.

What is the overnight minimum temperature? Do you have a Ceramic Heat Emitter on a thermostat?

I'll have to check on that. Just got a new thermometer yesterday, havent put it in yet. His routine in the morning he comes out strolls to his water goes through it, sometimes soaks in it a while, then he strolls over to the food. Usually eats pretty good then strolls to his rock, stretches out for a while then strolls to his house and hangs out till about noon. He doesnt sleep in his house at night. Then afternoon he's on the go, very active and tries to be cute I think, lol. Around 6 he's in his food dish waiting for food. Around 8/9 he goes and buries himself till the next day. This weekend I'm putting in the new gauges, timers etc......

Strange question here. I have noticed that Geronimo reacts in his routine around the sun coming in through the windows. Could this be part of it? Just following the natural outside environment.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
That doesn't sound too bad. A tort's life revolves around eating and basking.

Getting warm enough to eat first thing. Then snoozing, basking and digesting food followed by grazing and more snoozing. If it's very active in the afternoons, it may be hungry and looking for more food. Having edible plants in the enclosure to browse on is good.

Your tort's activity doesn't sound unusual. I thought you meant that your tort wasn't getting up at all in the mornings :)

Lol, no gets up and looks at me like, hey it's to early. He acts like a kid getting ready for school. I do have live plants in his habitat about 3 times a week. Mostly broadleaf mix. I can't just leave them in all the time because he just will mow them off in a day. I have some wheat grass and hens and chicks in there that I can leave in. I grow dandelions too I will put in but it's the same, he will mow it all off in an afternoon. Lol. He is a pig.