As Greeks affectionate?

deenamw

Hi! I have a 2 year old Greek tortoise (George). He is definitely not affectionate he doesn't really like anything. Is this normal?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I don't know what you mean by he doesn't like anything. Tortoises ate not affectionate. They do have likes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are not like mammal pets. Tortoises are wild animals. They do not appreciate being handled or pestered by their human. They want to be left alone to wander, eat and sleep.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Younger tortoises also feel vulnerable to predation. You might find your tortoise becoming more "personable" as the years go by and he/she gains size.

Yes, greeks are usually reported to be more "shy" than some other species, but many of them become more outgoing and bold over time.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Tidgy is a Greek and was terrified of people to begin with, after I rescued her.
Now, nearly four years later she is, of course, much bigger, but also very personable.
She loves her soaks and showers, and really enjoys her head and neck being rubbed.
She will follow me around in the garden, sit next to me and gaze in the same direction I am facing, whilst stretching and relaxing.
If we have a thunderstorm she will seek me out and check all her enclosure, peeking constantly at me seemingly checking that everything is safe and I haven't gone anywhere. ( she may be trying to escape during a storm).
I don't hand feed her often, but she loves it when i do, and has never bitten me yet, (except if my hands smelled of tomato, which I no longer feed her.)
I'm not sure you could call her affectionate, but she certainly doesn't mind a little human companionship.