Asian Box Turtle Not Moving Much

ginette123

Hi guys, I am from Singapore, and have been taking care of an Asian Box Turtle for the past 4 years.
Recently, it stopped eating and kept sleeping and don't even move much/at all.
We usually feed it bread and some meat. It likes to stay in a box with shelter.
It seems to lack the strength to move and its neck kept stretching out but its legs are rather weak...
We also bring it for a walk in a nearby gardens to let it have exposure to the sun.

Is there anything we can do to help it?
It used to be very active a few months ago but now I'm so afraid it'll pass away...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know a lot about them, but a diet of bread and meat can't be good. Do you offer water to drink and go into and do you soak him? What are the enclosures temps, humidity, all the info you can give us, will help us, to help you. I will try to alert a few members that might be able to give some suggestions. Good luck. @Yvonne G @tortadise @Anthony P @Gerards

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well. Sounds just by the description that the living conditions are not suitable. How often does he get to be out in the sun? Is there any UV light in the enclosure in which you keep it in? Some good photos of its enclosure will help too. Also depends on which species it truly is. If it's flavomarginata then a good planted enclosure is needed with a large area for it to submerge into water. They are omnivorous but favor more protein/animal consumption than greens. But straight up meat from chicken, pork, or hamburger are for sure not the best option. Nor is bread. They are best fed pellets, worms, snails, baby mice, etc... It sounds like the worst may not be here yet. But could you provide more detail of the meat and living conditions so we could hopefully turn him around. After 4 years of this care it may be difficult but we will certainly help you.

ginette123

Hi there, thank u for the prompt reply!
He usually gets basked in the sun twice a day. Because we found him near the roads 4 years ago, we haven't had a clue on how to set up his enclosure. He likes to crawl to enclosed spaces and hide, and used to come out often to walk around the house. The temperature in Singapore is usually quite humid, so we didn't get any thermometer or any sort for its enclosure.
We usually feed him prawns or chicken slices as we werent so sure what to feed it. It used to eat them all when we feed it, but recently its appetite has been bad.
We soak him twice in warm water and let it stay for around 1.5 hour for each soak.

May I ask if the haze in Singapore could be a additional factor that caused its health to worsen?
On closer look, it also has some white scab like thingy on its backlegs.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi there, thank u for the prompt reply!
He usually gets basked in the sun twice a day. Because we found him near the roads 4 years ago, we haven't had a clue on how to set up his enclosure. He likes to crawl to enclosed spaces and hide, and used to come out often to walk around the house. The temperature in Singapore is usually quite humid, so we didn't get any thermometer or any sort for its enclosure.
We usually feed him prawns or chicken slices as we werent so sure what to feed it. It used to eat them all when we feed it, but recently its appetite has been bad.
We soak him twice in warm water and let it stay for around 1.5 hour for each soak.

May I ask if the haze in Singapore could be a additional factor that caused its health to worsen?
On closer look, it also has some white scab like thingy on its backlegs.
Can you post some pics of him and his enclosure please?
That will help the experienced keepers give you the best advice.
It isn't good to let them wander around the house as they could eat things that aren't good for them.
If you look under the Species Specific section you will probably find a caresheet that will tell you about diet/temp/ humidity etc
That will give you something to go on until you get more replies.
The Beginners Mistakes thread is also useful and the Enclosures thread is great for ideas.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

I believe the diet is NOT the right one, and would advice you to change it as soon as possible.