Atrium Enclosure

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
Hi everyone! I've never owned a tortoise, but I have a unique opportunity most people don't get and I'm very interested in getting one. I just bought a house and there's an open air atrium in the center! Essentially, it's a huge animal enclosure. Since three toed sloths are a little hard to come by, I thought a tortoise would be the next best thing.

As a responsible pet owner, however, I need to know if this is feasible, and if it's going to be safe for my potential pet. He would be outdoors all the time, but he would be surrounded by huge two story walls. Currently, there's just stones on the ground, but I can convert the area into anything.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I would very much appreciate it. I attached photos of the enclosure.

-Mr 3D

View attachment 270313 View attachment 270314 View attachment 270315 View attachment 270316

I don't like it because it has very little access to good direct sunlight with tall walls all around a small area. Hard to believe an actual architect would design such a small claustrophobic area for supposed outdoor exposure.

aqualungs

Location (City and/or State)
Perry, OH
I don't like it because it has very little access to good direct sunlight with tall walls all around a small area. Hard to believe an actual architect would design such a small claustrophobic area for supposed outdoor exposure.

Idk better than nothing I guess. 10x10 isn’t that small that it isn’t usable. I’d go with a Redfoot. [emoji854]