Austwickia

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Location (City and/or State)
Weymouth
It seems like in the past couple of years this horrible disease is everywhere, quite frankly its been almost impossible to get a baby specially sulcata without having to worry about it. My friend’s sulcata died yesterday covered with bumps, is there anything he can de realistically? Its certain he cannot reuse the equipment for a new one and where is it safe to buy?
Another serious question is anything being done to try to find proper antibiotics to kill this bacteria? It seems to be spreading so quickly even to other reptiles

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with your assessments, but sadly, there are no answers to your questions. I know of a few people that are trying some different treatments, but have not heard of any success yet. It seems no one is immune and this pathogen just seems to show up somehow now.

Best to toss al the equipment and start over. Non-porous surfaces can be disinfected with an ammonia solution or F10. Bleach doesn't kill it.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
It seems like in the past couple of years this horrible disease is everywhere, quite frankly its been almost impossible to get a baby specially sulcata without having to worry about it. My friend’s sulcata died yesterday covered with bumps, is there anything he can de realistically? Its certain he cannot reuse the equipment for a new one and where is it safe to buy?
Another serious question is anything being done to try to find proper antibiotics to kill this bacteria? It seems to be spreading so quickly even to other reptiles
My understanding of the disease is that it is nearly always fatal. I'm not aware of any antibiotic or cocktail of antibiotics that have been successful.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
My understanding of the disease is that it is nearly always fatal. I'm not aware of any antibiotic or cocktail of antibiotics that have been successful.
Truly sad, and it spreads so ridiculously fast. I truly hope people working in reptile health finds some kind of antibiotic that works soon as its even making people completely lock down their homes for new reptiles.