Avocado Tree!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
I'm so proud of myself!
Well, we moved out of the last house this February and I took some of the avocados from our beloved tree. I germinated one and put it in water by March and then some dirt and voilá! 29 inch tree! I love it! Only 9 more years until we have fruit!! Its a beautiful little tree. Its leaves are so big and vibrant. Tomorrow if it doesn't rain, I'll take him (yes I call it him) outside and water HIM and take some more pictures. Its a really nice plant with definite potential to be a really nice tree in a few years. I'm looking forward it!!

Attachments

• 1385183238285.jpg
    1385183238285.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 1385183249232.jpg
    1385183249232.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 1385183412379.jpg
    1385183412379.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 1385183429999.jpg
    1385183429999.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 1385183448177.jpg
    1385183448177.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 101

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Very impressive and something I could never do. So you have just the one or do I see another one in the background?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
That is beautiful, yay and congratulations, and cool. But boy, are you a patient soul. It does take long to see fruit with avocado started from seed, from 6 to 9 years I hear. And it may not be the avocado you ate, that you loved, that you sprouted and waited for. But the cool thing is that it might be a new variety if the bee went from here to there and pollinated from one kind to another.

Hass is the most commercially popular avocado worldwide today. The Hass avocado began as a chance seedling from the 1920's. Grown by AR Wrightout and sold to Rudolph Hass, a postman who lived in La Habra. Hass' children are the ones that noticed how different this avocado was from the then popular Fuerte. He patented the variety in 1935. Hass then did a deal with H.H.Brokaw of Whittier to propagate, and the rest is pretty much history. They sold out time and time again. AR Wrightout, ironically, never intended to sell the seedling, but did. He was a kind of a Johnny Appleseed who planted avocado pits everywhere he could, even on the side of the road and in neighbors' homes, looking for new varieties to sprout and observe ... and he sold the best seedling to another. Go figure.

Sometimes we plant and harvest for ourselves, and sometimes we plant and others get the fruit of our labor. : )

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Avocado Tree!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
That is beautiful, yay and congratulations, and cool. But boy, are you a patient soul. It does take long to see fruit with avocado started from seed, from 6 to 9 years I hear. And it may not be the avocado you ate, that you loved, that you sprouted and waited for. But the cool thing is that it might be a new variety if the bee went from here to there and pollinated from one kind to another.

Hass is the most commercially popular avocado worldwide today. The Hass avocado began as a chance seedling from the 1920's. Grown by AR Wrightout and sold to Rudolph Hass, a postman who lived in La Habra. Hass' children are the ones that noticed how different this avocado was from the then popular Fuerte. He patented the variety in 1935. Hass then did a deal with H.H.Brokaw of Whittier to propagate, and the rest is pretty much history. They sold out time and time again. AR Wrightout, ironically, never intended to sell the seedling, but did. He was a kind of a Johnny Appleseed who planted avocado pits everywhere he could, even on the side of the road and in neighbors' homes, looking for new varieties to sprout and observe ... and he sold the best seedling to another. Go figure.

Sometimes we plant and harvest for ourselves, and sometimes we plant and others get the fruit of our labor. : )

Wow! I always learn so much!

Jacqui said:
Very impressive and something I could never do. So you have just the one or do I see another one in the background?

Nah. I only planted one, not expecting it to grow. The other plants are various herbs and an old bamboo that a neighbor gave us a few Christmases ago :D

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow, yours is gorgeous! My sister, in FL, was given a home grown sapling probably that size and got fruit this year. Lots and lots. I think hers is only 6 or 7 years old. It is way taller than her one story roof.
I am trying to start one of hers but no luck as yet. Its a Lula.
I did start a little one this summer. It is in my garden window. We are moving to FL some day and it is coming with me.
If it makes it. I have some bugs gnawing on it. Plus I caught my cats chewing the leaves. It is repotted now and a little bigger. I have no idea what kind but it is from a Florida variety.

Attachments

• 1385230541724.jpg
    1385230541724.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 68

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, Tiffany, you can put down the white flag now!

That's a pretty healthy-looking seedling. Ya done good, kid! And judging from the background in the first picture, you may just have a pretty green thumb, huh? I've started avocado seeds before but because they can't be planted outside here due to the frost in the winter, the plant never makes if more than a few months. Mine never do well indoors.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

AnnV said:
Wow, yours is gorgeous! My sister, in FL, was given a home grown sapling probably that size and got fruit this year. Lots and lots. I think hers is only 6 or 7 years old. It is way taller than her one story roof.
I did start a little one this summer. It is in my garden window. We are moving to FL some day and it is coming with me.
If it makes it. I have some bugs gnawing on it. Plus I caught my cats chewing the leaves. It is repotted now and a little bigger. I have no idea what kind but it is from a Florida variety.

It looks awesome! Just put a butter fly net over it! It'll be fine :D

Yvonne G said:

That's a pretty healthy-looking seedling. Ya done good, kid! And judging from the background in the first picture, you may just have a pretty green thumb, huh? I've started avocado seeds before but because they can't be planted outside here due to the frost in the winter, the plant never makes if more than a few months. Mine never do well indoors.

:D I'm glad you took my comment in a friendly mannor. I do grow a fair amount of plants :) I have lots of roses and other flowers but 75% if my yard is devoted to tort- friendly plants. Mine is staying indoors until next spring, then he goes outside! I'm not looking forward to it. He's a 'city' plant, that stays inside.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
581269_10151996442512298_860106996_ntrees_zps5e2d3223.jpg

Not saying your old, or a man, but I have always liked this saying and it sorta fit.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
WOW!! Your tree is WONDERFUL!! You did great! :) I too a screenshot of one of the leaves with water droplets on it and am using it for my iPhone wallpaper: Thanks!!!:p

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

Jacqui said:
581269_10151996442512298_860106996_ntrees_zps5e2d3223.jpg

Not saying your old, or a man, but I have always liked this saying and it sorta fit.

Haha. Its a nice saying, and no, I'm not old (I'm in denial:p jk), and not a man. :D:D:D

Moozillion said:
WOW!! Your tree is WONDERFUL!! You did great! :) I too a screenshot of one of the leaves with water droplets on it and am using it for my iPhone wallpaper: Thanks!!!:p

:D Thank you so much! I was being "artistic" ;):p

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Love trees, of all kinds. Especially yummy avocado ones! Love that quote Jacqui.
And this Chinese proverb: Who thought of me twenty years ago that I may enjoy the shade of this tree today?
Plant on! : )

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Moozillion, these are clearer. :D

Attachments

• 1385257265636.jpg
    1385257265636.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 1385257287035.jpg
    1385257287035.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 36

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
And this Chinese proverb: Who thought of me twenty years ago that I may enjoy the shade of this tree today?

I like that one, but do not ever remember reading it before. :)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

Jacqui said:
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:

I like that one, but do not ever remember reading it before. :)

It is nice :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Love trees, of all kinds. Especially yummy avocado ones! Love that quote Jacqui.

Love this quote!!! :)

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
You should transplant him to at least a 5 gallon container

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:

I love "trees" as well ;)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL

tffnytorts said:
AnnV said:

It looks awesome! Just put a butter fly net over it! It'll be fine :D

Yvonne G said:

:D I'm glad you took my comment in a friendly mannor. I do grow a fair amount of plants :) I have lots of roses and other flowers but 75% if my yard is devoted to tort- friendly plants. Mine is staying indoors until next spring, then he goes outside! I'm not looking forward to it. He's a 'city' plant, that stays inside.

OMG! A butterfly net! Thanks for the idea. I would never have thought of that!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
tffnytorts, I wanted to ask you, what type of avocado is this seedling from? do you know?

Ummm.... Well I'm not sure. I grew up in that last house, and the giant tree has always been there. Its not the dark bumpy kind.. its light green. Very pretty avocados.... I'll do some research after I get home :p

DevilsLettuce said:
You should transplant him to at least a 5 gallon container

I plan on transplanting him into a 8.5 gall in March :D:D

AnnV said:
tffnytorts said:
AnnV said:
OMG! A butterfly net! Thanks for the idea. I would never have thought of that!

:D I'm also going to make a canopy stand for spring. I will definitely post pictures when that time comes.