Is this little tree safe?

chaseswife

5 Year Member
20150918_171927.jpg 20150918_172113.jpg 20150918_172342.jpg We don't have any real trees I. Our backyard, but our neighbors have a tree that keeps sending up little shoots into our yard. I let Shrimp out today and he really wanted to eat the entire tree.

Anyone know what it is and if it is safe? Pics of the runner tree and of the big tree over the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

chaseswife

5 Year Member
Ug. I am realizing that is not a good picture of the big tree. There is a closer plant that is up against the wall and it drapes over it. The big tree in question is behind that one.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
We don't have any real trees I. Our backyard, but our neighbors have a tree that keeps sending up little shoots into our yard. I let Shrimp out today and he really wanted to eat the entire tree.

Anyone know what it is and if it is safe? Pics of the runner tree and of the big tree over the wall.

The sprout looks leguminous and could be Robinia pseudoacacia, black locust which is poisonous to livestock.
The second picture is no help but something up there appears to be yellow-flowered.
Black locust in spring has pendulous white flowers in the eastern US.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
The sprout looks leguminous and could be Robinia pseudoacacia, black locust which is poisonous to livestock.
The second picture is no help but something up there appears to be yellow-flowered.
Black locust in spring has pendulous white flowers in the eastern US.
The orange flowers are on the smaller bush/plant. I have never heard of black locust- but we are not in the eastern US.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The orange flowers are on the smaller bush/plant. I have never heard of black locust- but we are not in the eastern US.

After looking at the larger pictures, I don't think it is black locust even though it spreads readily by suckers and sprouts all over.
And, while not native to your area, it is invasive, now essentially occurring coast to coast.
The species name pseudoacacia means false acacia.
And there are yellow flowered acacias out your way.
Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck and nice little turtle by the way.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
Thank you for trying! I will try to get a better picture in the morning. Maybe even try knocking on the neighbors door. He has never opened the door before, even though he smiles and waves if we are both outside at the same time.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
View attachment 149146 View attachment 149147 View attachment 149148 We don't have any real trees I. Our backyard, but our neighbors have a tree that keeps sending up little shoots into our yard. I let Shrimp out today and he really wanted to eat the entire tree.

The hanging seeds on the larger tree look like the samaras of the maples. I wonder if that could be Acer negundo, the box elder.
Why don't you google it and see what you think?

newCH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So.FL
Have you asked your neighbor what kind of tree it is ?

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I snagged a small branch that was hanging almost into my yard. I have a picture of leaves, the seed pod things, and I zoomed in on the trunk of the tree. It doesn't look like the box elder to me.

Attachments

• 20150919_134150.jpg
    20150919_134150.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 20150919_134133.jpg
    20150919_134133.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20150919_134029.jpg
    20150919_134029.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I snagged a small branch that was hanging almost into my yard. I have a picture of leaves, the seed pod things, and I zoomed in on the trunk of the tree. It doesn't look like the box elder to me.

Well, I'm all guessed out. Like some trees, I'm stumped.
The seeds look Ash-like but the leaves throw me so it's a more xeric area western tree
that I am unfamiliar with.
I did an internet search for 'Arizona tree with small bluish obovate leaves and samara-like seeds'
and came up empty.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I think I found it. Dalbergia Sissoo, Indian Rosewood. Now the problem is to find out if it is safe for tortoises.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think I found it. Dalbergia Sissoo, Indian Rosewood. Now the problem is to find out if it is safe for tortoises.

I had found Indian Rosewood but dismissed it.
But I think it is Dalbergia melanoxylon, the African Blackwood.
At any rate, Indian Rosewood is toxic.
Enjoyed the hunt anyway and good luck.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
Where did you learn that Indian Rosewood is toxic? I can't find that info anywhere. The tortoise table isn't listing any of the names that are associated with it.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Where did you learn that Indian Rosewood is toxic? I can't find that info anywhere. The tortoise table isn't listing any of the names that are associated with it.

I found a number of references mostly to woodworking and dermatitis but one source cites livestock poisoning:
The Poisoned Weed - Plants Toxic to Skin
The Toxic Plants of Western Australia
Economic Botany, Principle and Practices
There are numerous citations if you google it.
Again I don't think your tree is Indian Rosewood.
I think it is African Blackwood. But they are both Dalbergias.
The poison plant lists are generally compiled from casework based on reports of poisoning in mammalian subjects.
But caution is always advised when plants could be problematic.