awaiting new baby!

pandio

Location (City and/or State)
Boise, ID.
I'm so excited! I ordered a baby redfoot and it will be here Thursday! Happy happy . I'll post some pics after she/he gets settled in.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Yay! We love pics!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Alright new red foot keeper! Your going to love working with red foots . They are so nosey . They will come and see what you are doing and love to eat out of your hand .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Congrats. Looking forward to see some pictures from you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is it Thursday yet? Boy is this week going to go slow for you. :( So where did you find this critter who is going to make your dreams come true?)

pandio

Boise, ID.
Almost Thursday! I ordered from underground reptiles in Florida. I wish I would have found a local breeder. I almost bought a rescue from a local lady but she ticked me off. I do rescues as well and didn't like how she was behaving.

pandio

Boise, ID.
Thanks! Now I need some expert advice on keeping her shell nice and smooth as she grows. I've done good with Boxies and Russians over the course of 23 years but RF is new to me. Been researching but would like any info from people who have raised them please!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I am no expert, but by everything I have read, my red foot's enclosure is not much different from my boxie. I keep my boxie's enclosure a little wetter and cooler, because she is an adult and not as prone to shell rot as my baby red foot.

After some experimenting, I have a 2" layer of lava rock in the bottom of his enclosure, then organic soil/coco coir/moss mixture on top of the rock, then a layer of spangham moss one the top of the mixture, in half of the enclosure and live moss on the other half. He has a shallow saucer for his water and food, both are level with the ground. I have him in a old 3'x3' terrarium , I have him in the corner and covered the two sides that face out with green foam board. The top is covered with a layer of foil with a CHE and basking lamp on top. Then I have a linear UVB light inside the enclosure.

He gets two soaks a day, the morning soak is a little warmer than the evening one, which is usually when he poos... I have yet to see him pee, but I am assuming he must do is at some point! After his soak, I make sure I put him in front of his water dish, this is the only time I actually see him drink.

I do not soak my boxie as much, since she self soaks.

Both my boxie and red foot are in the same room as my whole home humidifier, which I keep at 50%, to help keep their enclosures humid. My red foot's enclosure never dips below 80% humidity! and is usually between 85-90%. Right under the basking light it is about 100 degrees and 85 on the cool side, I hardly ever see him basking... At night the whole enclosure is 85-80 degrees.

Now I am just babbling, I am just so excited for you and your new baby!!!

pandio

Boise, ID.
Thanks for the reply. I started with a 40 gal breeder tank that I had grass growing and some plants. 3 sides are covered and half the top but not the front. I have pea gravel in the bottom for drainage then about 6 inches of organic soil and a few spots with sphagnum moss. I used a plant saucer for water dish and there's a log hide too. So far I only have a basking light but ordered a tube uvb. It was so controversal I wasn't sure about it. I've been misting with a water bottle but thinking I might need a fogger or something. I have an enclosed outside area as well for nice days.