New baby

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
ok guys.... so I have a new baby.... I'll take pics soon, but its a redfoot. It was given to me by a person who's roommate left it there when he moved away and he knew nothing about tortoises. He tried his very best to give it as good a life as he could with what little he knew and what little notice he had in owning it, but realized it wasn't cutting it. Now I have her? And I'm excited. Here what she came from. I'll get her all hooked up with proper stuffs and hopefully she'll thrive!20200613_202813.jpg
20200613_202826-jpg.297273

Attachments

• 20200613_202826.jpg
    20200613_202826.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 106

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
So question on this new baby, getting the humidity and temps won't be an issue for me, but whats the best way to keep substrate moist for humidity, but dryer on the top to help prevent shell rot? I have the 100watt che on therm, getting the uvb this weekend, and a temporary closed chamber on the way in the mail as we speak.

I imagine it'll be a slightly different process than my leopards.

@Toddrickfl1 @ZEROPILOT

Thanks!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've in the past used several inches of Orchid bark with or without garden soil on top.
The Orchid bark absorbs water (pour some into the corners) and gives off humidity through a steady pro6of evaporation and the top layer remains mostly dry.
I however must ad that my Redfoot all live outdoors.
There are other members with much more experience than me at keeping them indoors

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I've in the past used several inches of Orchid bark with or without garden soil on top.
The Orchid bark absorbs water (pour some into the corners) and gives off humidity through a steady pro6of evaporation and the top layer remains mostly dry.
I however must ad that my Redfoot all live outdoors.
There are other members with much more experience than me at keeping them indoors
@Toddrickfl1 @jsheffield should be able to offer advice

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Ok, so 'she?' Had her first soak probably ever this morning! I think she really liked it. It was for 30 mins. Here she is!
20200614_080400.jpg20200614_080325.jpg20200614_080332.jpg20200614_080046.jpg

I have her temporary closed chamber in the mail, so she'll have much better temp and humidity readings really soon! It's coming PRIME ? I got her last minute, but thankfully I had a lot of extra stuffs. So what do you guys think? Girl? Boy? I know it wouldnt be 100%, just curious so we can name her lol. She was just called tortoise.
She's got a little tail, but i also see a little curve in her plastron so idk!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Really cute tortoise

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thanks! Shes been a real trooper with all this. Ate like a champ today and has been super curious about these new giant creatures watching her lol

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
So question on this new baby, getting the humidity and temps won't be an issue for me, but whats the best way to keep substrate moist for humidity, but dryer on the top to help prevent shell rot? I have the 100watt che on therm, getting the uvb this weekend, and a temporary closed chamber on the way in the mail as we speak.

I imagine it'll be a slightly different process than my leopards.

@Toddrickfl1 @ZEROPILOT

Thanks!
What I do is put a couple inches of organic potting soil then a small layer of either orchid bark or Cypress mulch on top of that. That way you can grow plants too. With a good closed chamber you shouldn't even have to add water. The moisture in the dirt will be enough to maintain 80%+

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ok, so 'she?' Had her first soak probably ever this morning! I think she really liked it. It was for 30 mins. Here she is!
View attachment 297296View attachment 297297View attachment 297299View attachment 297300

I have her temporary closed chamber in the mail, so she'll have much better temp and humidity readings really soon! It's coming PRIME ? I got her last minute, but thankfully I had a lot of extra stuffs. So what do you guys think? Girl? Boy? I know it wouldnt be 100%, just curious so we can name her lol. She was just called tortoise.
She's got a little tail, but i also see a little curve in her plastron so idk!
Too young to sex. Good growth so far though. You shouldn't have a problem growing this one smooth from this point.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Too young to sex. Good growth so far though. You shouldn't have a problem growing this one smooth from this point.
Ok awesome! Thank you! That seems easy enough to do. And I figured on the growth thing, but figured it was worth a shot lol. Either way we did end up naming 'her' Chi Chi.

I've also read up on the protein and most ppl say about once a week or once every 2 weeks, and I've read a lot of the different kinds they have offered, but would the original mizuri be considered the protein source? I don't want to give her too much on accident.
Thank you so much!