Awapuhi

Sandijoco

Location (City and/or State)
Zephyrhills
Hello all!! This is my first post, so be gentle. I'm wondering if the Awapuhi, also known as Hawaiian ginger or shampoo plant is safe for tortoises. It is safe for humans to eat or use almost all of the plant. I have so much growing, I thought it might be something else I could add to the already varied diet I offer.
Thanks,
Sandi

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hello all!! This is my first post, so be gentle. I'm wondering if the Awapuhi, also known as Hawaiian ginger or shampoo plant is safe for tortoises. It is safe for humans to eat or use almost all of the plant. I have so much growing, I thought it might be something else I could add to the already varied diet I offer.
Thanks,
Sandi
Ginger isn't supposed to be good for them unfortunately.

Sandijoco

Zephyrhills
Ginger isn't supposed to be good for them unfortunately.
I know this but I don't think it's the same as regular ginger but I could be wrong. But wondered about the rest. There are so many uses. A shampoo and deformed to name just two.
Thanks for your response as I can't find anything except it's ok for pets, assuming cats and dogs.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I know this but I don't think it's the same as regular ginger but I could be wrong. But wondered about the rest. There are so many uses. A shampoo and deformed to name just two.
Thanks for your response as I can't find anything except it's ok for pets, assuming cats and dogs.
Yeah, honestly not sure. It was just not recommended on the tortoise table. I don't know If there are any known cases of death from it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum!

The Tortoise Table is written primarily for U.K. owners, you won't find many tropical plants there.

The plant family in question here is entirely unfamiliar to me and it's also one that grows from rhizomes, which do tend to be a little dicey.

I imagine a stalk or two couldn't do much/any harm but as you have a varied diet already I'd probably just skip it.

As the Tortoise Table will have limited value for you it might be better to just do a search in the forum for a given plant to see if it's fed by anyone already.

Sandijoco

Zephyrhills
Welcome to the forum!

The Tortoise Table is written primarily for U.K. owners, you won't find many tropical plants there.

The plant family in question here is entirely unfamiliar to me and it's also one that grows from rhizomes, which do tend to be a little dicey.

I imagine a stalk or two couldn't do much/any harm but as you have a varied diet already I'd probably just skip it.

As the Tortoise Table will have limited value for you it might be better to just do a search in the forum for a given plant to see if it's fed by anyone already.
Thank you for the welcome and the advice. I appreciate you!