Awesome Cal. King Snake (adult Female)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey guys, I purchased this king snake off of craigslist and Its a super cool pet but no one here like her. Shes living in a 20 gal tank w/ screen lid clips and water bowl that I will give for free if local pick up.

I would like to get 175.00 for her and I will split shipping costs to a good home. I was told she was a female I dont have probes or know how to check. Also I was told she was a proven breeder, but the person I got her from wasnt a breeder.

Also I was told this was a banna? Check out the pics and please post if this is correct or not.

Any way I wanted to keep and breed king snakes to fund my tortoise rescue. But I ended up wimping out feeding her a live mouse. She has eaten frozen/thawed mice while with me.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hey, Vince...long time no see! I don't know anything about snakes, but it seems to me she's in a pretty small habitat.

Yvonne

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne, I have been blessed to have a lot of work so not a lot of time to chat on here.

I thought so too about the habitat, apparently breeders keep them in rack style set ups that have less area. They may have the same "area" as a 20 gallon long but are flat sweater boxes. She(the snake) spends a lot of time curled up under her hide spot and does have vertical area. The cage is a 20 gal long. But I am with you, just because an animal will thrive in a smaller efficient set up doesn't mean its the best. When I bought her , she came with the set up and is doing well, eating , drinking and pooping =). She is a very cool pet. I just cant handle the feedings .

I have had the snake about two weeks.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Feeding f\t is best anyway, so I wouldn't worry about the live mouse thing.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
It looks nothing like the King snakes Ive seen around here.. I live in Calif.
As for snakes living in sweater boxes and they thrive and live and breed.. I know they get kept that way, but does that make it right?
I know a animal wont breed unless 'happy' in its enviroment and we prefer asthetically pleasing enclosures and we anthropromorphise (sp)things when it comes to animals a lot!
In the wild they have a harder time, have to move around to hunt etc.. but sterile boxes on a shelf? Just doesnt seem like a good life.. Healthy or not..
And I know a few here do raise snakes.. this is nothing personal.. Ive just always wondered about that.. but now im way off topic...

and of course snakes poop.. Im not aware of any living thing that eats, that doenst.. it would Die!
:)

chadk

10 Year Member!
For many, they approach snakes like most of us do our torts... We try to provide the best home for them - temps, substrate, size of enclosure, etc. With snakes, there is a wide range of snake types - tropical tree dwellers, snakes that live in tunnels most of the time, snakes that travel far, snakes that stay in one spot, snakes that like water, snakes that don't, etc etc.

Some snakes, like the popular Ball Python, live underground, often in rodent tunnels and inside of termite mounds. They stress out if they don't feel secure on all sides and exposed. So these snakes do very well in 'rack' type systems where they have fairly small enclosures and they don't need any special uvb or lighting. Most hobbyists who have one or a few of these will let them out several times a week to explore and climb around, but most will just cling on you and wait to be put back... Other snakes require lots of room to climb and are very active in the day (others are more nocturnal). These do best with lots of branches to climb on and room to move and stretch and explore.

But some serious breeders choose to put them ALL in small racks. I'm not a fan of that. But if you have 20 snakes (or 200 as some do), you just can't provide the 5ft tall, 4ft wide, natural looking habbitat for the aboreal snakes. Kinda like a puppy mill to some extent.... But then some experts that have been at it much longer than me seem to think the approach is just fine as long as the snakes are eating well, breeding, and healthy...

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
I wish I was closer to you, I would love to take her. She is perty.

ARKelly

Status
Not open for further replies.