Awkward eating

tacotaco

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hi,

So my Sulcata hatching (Taco) has this awkward eating habit where he likes to stand tall over his food when eating, the problem with that is, he’s so tall over the food that he doesn’t even bite the food, all he gets is empty mouthfuls of air most of the time! I can tell that he gets frustrated bc he walks away from the food, just to return to get the same results. So I most times like to “assist” him by gently holding him down so that he doesn’t rise up to encourage/train him to stay low or level with the food so that he can take bites. Has anyone ever experienced this with their torts? If so, will he learn to eat properly?

Thanks.

daniellenc

Maryland
Hmmmm my guy always stands on his food to eat he's a territorial pig like that. His first few days he definitely had a few moments of air biting but always would miss, chomp food, miss, miss, chomp food. Basically he ate at every meal it just took longer until he was used to his new set-up. Is this a new tortoise?

tacotaco

Louisiana
Hmmmm my guy always stands on his food to eat he's a territorial pig like that. His first few days he definitely had a few moments of air biting but always would miss, chomp food, miss, miss, chomp food. Basically he ate at every meal it just took longer until he was used to his new set-up. Is this a new tortoise?

Yes, I’ve had him for 3 months.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A lot of hatchlings do that air biting. The best way too help him is too pile the food up. As he eats or knocks it down, keep piling it up. Eventually they grow out of it and it usually don't take too long.

tacotaco

Louisiana
A lot of hatchlings do that air biting. The best way too help him is too pile the food up. As he eats or knocks it down, keep piling it up. Eventually they grow out of it and it usually don't take too long.

Yeah, I do use that technique as well. I guess I’ll just have to keep doing it until he grows out of it! Thanks.