Baby box turtle troubles

Yurtle

5 Year Member
My baby three-toed box turtle, doesn't want to eat anymore. The first week we got him he was eating just fine, but for some reason this past week he's been refusing to eat. He ate one small super worm yesterday, but besides that nothing.
The cool side of his tank is at 74° and the warm side is in the mid to high 80's.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to eat again?

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
post pictures of your set up and what are your temperature parameters. also besides super worms what are you feeding him

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
My baby three-toed box turtle, doesn't want to eat anymore. The first week we got him he was eating just fine, but for some reason this past week he's been refusing to eat. He ate one small super worm yesterday, but besides that nothing.
The cool side of his tank is at 74° and the warm side is in the mid to high 80's.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to eat again?
***URGENT*** Is this a turtle from the same clutch as the turtle you had pass away July 8th or a completely different clutch, parents..how long have you had it? was it with the turtle that died a month ago (in the same set up).. if you lost one to not eating and now this there's a drastic need to look at your husbandry and your enclosure

Yurtle

5 Year Member
post pictures of your set up and what are your temperature parameters. also besides super worms what are you feeding him
I'll get pictures up as soon as I can get tapatalk to work. And I was feeding him mealworms, darkling beetles and pill bugs too. I had offered some veggies (carrots and red bell peppers) mixed in with the insects, but he wasn't interested.
Also what are your humidity levels and how often do you soak him?
I've been soaking him every other Day and I keep the humidity between 60-80%.
***URGENT*** Is this a turtle from the same clutch as the turtle you had pass away July 8th or a completely different clutch, parents..how long have you had it? was it with the turtle that died a month ago (in the same set up).. if you lost one to not eating and now this there's a drastic need to look at your husbandry and your enclosure
This is a completely different turtle from that I got from lllreptile and he's in a different enclosure. I've only had him for a week and a half. I didn't loose the other one to not eating, he had died, do to extremely poor husbnadry and diet at his previous home and was given to me as a last resort to save him.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Try feeding him some different things and see if he enjoys any I suggest earth worms
Mix the other stuff with the desired stuff to see if he will it the other stuff with it. Chop the other stuff up throughly before mixing

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
looks great, if you've only had the turtle for a week I'd say it's nothing to be concerned about. It might have decided that it's a shy eater once it's appetite was satisfied and it discovered that food was always available.

Yurtle

5 Year Member
Earth worms.

What kind of light are you using?
I've tried earthworms, but he wasn't intereasted. I use a repti-sun 5.0.
looks great, if you've only had the turtle for a week I'd say it's nothing to be concerned about. It might have decided that it's a shy eater once it's appetite was satisfied and it discovered that food was always available.

Okay, thank you for the help.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
I've tried earthworms, but he wasn't intereasted. I use a repti-sun 5.0.

Okay, thank you for the help.
something small you can add to your terrarium that turtles LOVE and can't damage the turtle or the enclosure AND won't chirp like an ignored or escaped cricket are roly-poly bugs I've raised 5 hatchlings by supplementing their diet with them

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Ah sorry. I don't keep track of specific brands connected to specific wave lengths. Most I can identify specifically what it is, is the Mercury Vapor Bulb.
It's not a coil bulb, right?
I don't think mercury vapor bulbs can be coils

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I don't think mercury vapor bulbs can be coils
No sorry meant is the bulb currently in use a coil bulb?
I was using the MVB as an example since it's the only bulb I know by name to produce specific UV rays (UVB and UVA) because I don't know by name when other ones do produce any.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I wouldn't hit the panic button yet, unless you see other symptoms. There are some days I want to tell a 15 million+ baby species to act the same everyday. Some are on a clock work schedule and a couple others go days without eating and go into hide survival mode. All I'm asking is for a simple routine but then again thats like trying to tell my 11 year old to quit saying "whatever Dad!"

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Sometimes my Russian doesn't eat for a week (obviously a different species, but still). Only thing I see in you picture (which has nothing to do with the eating) is that the water bowl is really close to areas were your turtle can tip over, almost had my boxie drown in her water bowl because she fell of her house into the water bowl.