Baby feeding

Newbabymama

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
New baby sulcata about 2 months old. I've read conflicting advice about how often to offer food. Been feeding it spring mix, rose petals, and timothy hay daily. Have sprinkled it with calcium plus D3 once a week. Baby likes to eat. Currently kept just indoors under full spec uvb light as well as a ceramic light for heat. I've read that they don't need food daily and that it can cause health issues. Opinions please!

Attachments

• 20220928_124531.jpg
    20220928_124531.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 8

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please read our caresheet and closed chamber threads for proper housing. The way you have him in the pic is all wrong.
Feed daily a pile big enough that it lasts all day or when it's gone give more.
Your baby is being kept too dry and already showing signs of pyramiding.

Newbabymama

Kansas
Please read our caresheet and closed chamber threads for proper housing. The way you have him in the pic is all wrong.
Feed daily a pile big enough that it lasts all day or when it's gone give more.
Your baby is being kept too dry and already showing signs of pyramiding.
I've only had her for 3 days and have changed her housing. Daily soaks, sphagnum moss, spraying several times a day, reptile bark. Was also worried about her pyramiding thought maybe over eating.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I've only had her for 3 days and have changed her housing. Daily soaks, sphagnum moss, spraying several times a day, reptile bark. Was also worried about her pyramiding thought maybe over eating.
They don't pyramid from over eating. Babies really can't over eat unless you have it stuck in a small enclosure where it can roam for exercise. Pyramiding is from being too dry and using a mercury vapor bulb.
The closed chamber enclosure is what it needs with 80% humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sphagnum moss should not be used with tortoises. They will eat it and it can cause impaction.

Food does not cause pyramiding. Growth in conditions that are too dry causes pyramiding.

Tortoises are grazers and should be fed as much of the right foods as they want to eat daily.

Hay is good for adult sulcatas, not babies. Babies need soft tender freshly sprouted grass. When you tortoise is large enough for hay, Timothy is not the way to go. Use orchard grass hay, and/or Bermuda.

You've been reading all the usual old wrong info. The care sheet that Barb linked will help you sort out what to do and questions are welcome.