Baby food!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosey

5 Year Member
So the other day I'm walking around the store getting foods for my girls (Rosey and Ruby both redfoots). Anyhow I see this baby food that says 60% daily protein and read the ingredients. Is all that's in it is chicken and chicken broth. So I buy one thinking that ill mix it in their salad for a little added protein. At first neither ofthem were interested...then they both started chomping! They loved it! So now I'm just wondering if its a good protein option for them? Today I added the baby butternut squash to their salad and they loved that to! And the best part is that baby food is freKing cheap. What are everyones thoughts on this for my girls? My girls must have the best of everything....

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
My thoughts are as long as it is organic and natural it is fine. Did you check the sodium in the Chicken baby food. Processed canned meat is usually very high in sodium and I am not sure if that would be healthy for your torts. But I am def not an expert.

Rosey

5 Year Member
Yes I checked the sodium...it claims its all natural chicken blended with chicken juices and no other additives. Sodium says 30 mg for the whole jar...I only fed half the jar to both of them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby food is great if you are trying to get a non-eater started eating, or use it to soak a non-eater. But human babyfood is processed for human babies and I'm not sure, but I don't think its a good substitute for the real thing.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I actually don't even feed my baby "baby food" I just purée a bunch of stuff for the week. Like squash, apples, carrots etc... It is very cheap and much healthier. If you need purreed food for your tort it is very cost effective to just do it yourself.

Rosey

5 Year Member
I was really just wangting to use it bi weekly as a protein source...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
It sounds better than cat food, which I have heard a lot of people give Red Foots.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have made my own using pumpkin and a few other greens that Vegas enjoyed and he loved it....Sometimes it's just easier to do it yourself...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've been using vegtable and fruit baby food for years as a source of additional vitamins for young and adult tortoises alike. Primarily through the winter months when fresh vegetable availability is limited. I have also always used canned cat food as a protein supplement for Redfoots and Burmese Browns and have yet to see any adverse affects from using either.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
These are my thoughts- not proven facts, but thoughts...

1. Foods where the cell walls have been damaged- overcooked, frozen, pureed, etc.- tend to cause diarrhea or loose stools. Part of this is due to the damage to the fiber and cellulose, so the tortoise looses out on that nutrient- but overall this is just something to keep in mind, not a deal breaker.

2. Good quality baby foods are good for storing foods, just in case- but watch the expiration dates.

3. While this may be better than cat food for tortoises (although I am not sure it really is), there are other options that are still better, especially bugs, worms, and invertebrates. Live stuff is generally better than fresh stuff, which is better than processed/preserved stuff.

B

bellabrownn

I thoughts are as long as it is organic and natural it is too good. first of all you should the sodium in the chicken baby food. Processed canned meat is usually very high in sodium and I am not sure if that would be healthy for the torts. But I am def not and expert.....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.