Baby Hermanns moving strangely

Brimstonefox

Location (City and/or State)
Kent, UK
Hi, All!
One of my 6 month old Hermanns has started moving very strangely (see video). None of his legs seem damaged, he is eating enthusiastically and did a big poo in his bath today. Any suggestions, please?

Bambam1989

East Texas
The reason I asked was because the front legs, to me, look like they are trying to "fling" the substrate onto his back. I have seen torts fling dirt and mud onto their shells in response to trying to cool off (or because it felt good)
Is he the only one in the enclosure or do the other torts share it?
What are your temperatures?
Perhaps others will have a different opinion on the behavior..

Bambam1989

East Texas
You may try removing the brick/ stone seen in the video, he may want to "dig in" in that spot(likes the temp there)
Just trying to figure it out.

Brimstonefox

Kent, UK
Hi, thank-you for your replies. Yes, I initially thought he was just trying to bury himself but he behaves like this whatever surface he is on; he is well used to walking to the soft substrate when he wants to. I put him on the tile to better show the odd movement. The temperature under the lamp (where he is in the film) is about 30 degrees C. He has access to plenty of space to regulate his temperature.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hi, thank-you for your replies. Yes, I initially thought he was just trying to bury himself but he behaves like this whatever surface he is on; he is well used to walking to the soft substrate when he wants to. I put him on the tile to better show the odd movement. The temperature under the lamp (where he is in the film) is about 30 degrees C. He has access to plenty of space to regulate his temperature.
Hmm then my limited experience is at a loss. I am sure more experienced keepers will soon be along to give better advice.

Bee62

Germany
Hi, when he doesen`t stop with this weird walking I would do a blood test by the VET. Tortoise herpes can cause such strange movements. Or a lack of vitamin B12, or B6. I would at first try to feed a vitamin powder.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I would do a blood test by the VET.
I'm afraid it's impossible to take a blood sample from such a small baby. But it looks like some kind of infection, I would definitely take it to a Vet.

Brimstonefox

Kent, UK
Thank-you. He has a vitamin supplement in his food most days.
If he doesn't look better by the end of today we will head for the vet. Interestingly, he managed a respectable straight line when I put his breakfast in today!

Bee62

Germany
Thank-you. He has a vitamin supplement in his food most days.
If he doesn't look better by the end of today we will head for the vet. Interestingly, he managed a respectable straight line when I put his breakfast in today!
Will you please bo so kind to update us what the VET said if you visit him with your baby ? We all can learn when there is a diagnosis.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi, All!
One of my 6 month old Hermanns has started moving very strangely (see video). None of his legs seem damaged, he is eating enthusiastically and did a big poo in his bath today. Any suggestions, please?
He seems to me to be desperately trying to move at all on that smooth surface!

Brimstonefox

Kent, UK
Hi,
Thank-you all for you replies.
TammyJ - the tile isn't smooth and they have no problem walking across it.
Bee62, no vet was needed in the end.
BamBam1989, I think you were right and he was just trying to bury himself, although I still haven't quite worked out why; maybe something to do with the ambient temperatures dropping recently. Anyway the behaviour has stopped and he seems fine.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hi,
Thank-you all for you replies.
TammyJ - the tile isn't smooth and they have no problem walking across it.
Bee62, no vet was needed in the end.
BamBam1989, I think you were right and he was just trying to bury himself, although I still haven't quite worked out why; maybe something to do with the ambient temperatures dropping recently. Anyway the behaviour has stopped and he seems fine.
Glad he is ok