Baby leopard tortoise not eating.

Murrsgal

Hi I received my baby leopard tortoise through the mail yesterday. I went out and purchased the necessary items for it. I watered him yesterday and today. Each time he went but that's not my concern. I haven't seen him eat. I took a temp gun and checked areas. Under the mercury vapor bulb it's 92 degrees his cool down is 78. I also have him by a window and during the day I open the curtain so he gets natural light. Any suggestions would be great

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Sometimes it takes time for them to adapt to the new environment before they will eat. First thing I suggest is posting some pictures of the set up and maybe we can see some things that you could adjust. Also the window is not supplying natural because the window blocks it.

A warm welcome to the forum and check out the Leopard section for some very good and detailed caresheets!

High humidity is also good in order for smooth shell growth.

Leopards rule!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Please read the following :
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/
The necessary UVB light will not pass through the glass of a window. or the glass of an enclosure, but as you have an MVB that is not a problem and it's nice to provide real light, in my opinion.
It is not unusual for a new tortoise to not eat when he is first placed in a new home. He is afraid he may be in another's territory, that there may be predators here or that you may be wanting to eat him. he will soon adjust and hopefully start to eat once he realizes this is his new enclosure and that you are the food god.
Hot spot should be up to 100 and ambient temp 80 to 90° according to the care sheets.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What's the humidity? With those temps, humidity should be 80% and you lower temp should be raised to 80

Murrsgal

Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Please read the following :
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/
The necessary UVB light will not pass through the glass of a window. or the glass of an enclosure, but as you have an MVB that is not a problem and it's nice to provide real light, in my opinion.
It is not unusual for a new tortoise to not eat when he is first placed in a new home. He is afraid he may be in another's territory, that there may be predators here or that you may be wanting to eat him. he will soon adjust and hopefully start to eat once he realizes this is his new enclosure and that you are the food god.
Hot spot should be up to 100 and ambient temp 80 to 90° according to the care sheets.
I
I have a 100 watt power sun uv bulb at on end and a 60 watt ceramic infrared heat emitter at the other end. I turn the uvb off at night and turn the heat on. I also purchased New Zealand sphagnum moss which I have moistened. I'm offering him fresh kale and turnip greens. I have not added a hide out as I was wanting to make sure he is eating. I'm not sure how to post a picture or I would.

Murrsgal

I
I have a 100 watt power sun uv bulb at on end and a 60 watt ceramic infrared heat emitter at the other end. I turn the uvb off at night and turn the heat on. I also purchased New Zealand sphagnum moss which I have moistened. I'm offering him fresh kale and turnip greens. I have not added a hide out as I was wanting to make sure he is eating. I'm not sure how to post a picture or I would.

I did read the literature.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You need to purchase a hygrometer to measure the humidity. This is vital for this species.
You will need a bigger enclosure and some substrate as per the care sheets.
A closed chamber is best otherwise you will have great difficulty in keeping the necessary humidity.
The MVB works best when pointing directly downwards, not at an angle.
The water bowl should be sunk into the substrate so the tortoise can climb in and out easily, like this it is a flip hazard and if the tortoise gets stuck upside down it may drown, be unable to breath or be toasted under the heat lamp.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but we need to help the tortoise here.
Getting the set up right, means little to worry about later on and a healthy tortoise to last you the rest of your life. :)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Those clamp lights are also known to fail and then cause the light to fall and either burn the tort, cause fires, etc....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Everything is wrong, sorry. You need a substrate, get coconut coir, it has to cover the whole floor. You need a tote box with higher sides and to use the lid. Cut two holes in the lid, just a little under the size of the dome you lights are in. Line the rim of the holes with tin foil and rest the lights on that. Don't use the clamps. Also what kind of bulbs are you using? You need to dampen the coir and get thermometers that reads temp and humidity, get good ones not the disc ones the pet stores sell. Thrn you need to read the caresheets thread and the closed chamber thread. Read it good, so you can get it right.