Finished leopard tortoise enclosure!

drewb629

Location (City and/or State)
Clarence Center, NY
My dad and i finally finished our enclosure for our two hatchling leopard tortoises! The dimensions are 6ft long 2 ft wide and 1ft tall build with melamine. Also just a note that I’m using a mercury vapor bulb so it has UVB but I recently purchased a strip light from amazon. The substrate is about a 5:2 ratio of eco earth and cypress mulch. Lmk if you guys have any other suggestions for this. IMG_1530672252.864441.jpgIMG_1530672268.189552.jpgIMG_1530672278.304180.jpgIMG_1530672287.950670.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I like the enclosure, however, you need to figure out a way to close it up. They need to be kept in warm, humid conditions, and with an open top, all your humidity goes out into the room. Also, the screen is filtering out the good UVB rays so the screen needs to go.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second what Yvonne said. Because the sides are so short, you will need to figure out how to put a raised top on it so the uvb and heat can be inside. They need a closed chamber enclosure with humidity not less then 80%, temps no lower then 80 day and night with the basking being 95-100.

drewb629

Clarence Center, NY
Hi and welcome!

I like the enclosure, however, you need to figure out a way to close it up. They need to be kept in warm, humid conditions, and with an open top, all your humidity goes out into the room. Also, the screen is filtering out the good UVB rays so the screen needs to go.

Thank you so much! I had no idea those screen tops filter out UVB Rays. Also i regularly spray down the enclosure to keep humidity up but do you think if i added maybe a tarp or something to both sides it would keep humidity in?

drewb629

Clarence Center, NY
I second what Yvonne said. Because the sides are so short, you will need to figure out how to put a raised top on it so the uvb and heat can be inside. They need a closed chamber enclosure with humidity not less then 80%, temps no lower then 80 day and night with the basking being 95-100.

Thank you! I will definitely use you advice!!

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Thank you so much! I had no idea those screen tops filter out UVB Rays. Also i regularly spray down the enclosure to keep humidity up but do you think if i added maybe a tarp or something to both sides it would keep humidity in?
If by both sides you mean either side of the screened area, then no that won't do much as long as the screen area is open. The other problem with the way it is now is that it is probably way too cool on both ends of the enclosure. So, you will need to get the light inside whatever cover you come up with; you may also need a secondary heat source depending on what the temps at the ends are. How is it being heated at night?