Baby leopard tortoise one week not eating

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
Plus I couldn't get 80 or above to warm up in there it's got a screen Top I'll send a picture later...it seems her large bowl is better for maintaining temp....I got a mossy cave/hide for her yesterday but seems to cool with her night light even though the rest is 80°....I'll send a picture of that later as well....overall she doing MUCH BETTER...she eats her cc food, drinks, and crawls around... which she didn't do any of that for over a week plus before the last couple days

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm soooo happy that she is doing so much better! Other keepers have reported that the pedialyte/carrot combo has made the difference between life and death.

And you are to be commended for following our advice and doing it. Sometimes new keepers don't, and their babies suffer the consequences.

Like Yvonne said, we can also help you with what to buy.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Save your money and hit Home Depot-
1.Extra Large tote like 65 Gal. Holiday Tree Storage Tote in Clear Base and Red Cover which is 29.98 or 55 Gal. Tough Storage Tote in Black fro 19.98
2. Get two 300-Watt 10-1/2 in. Brooder Clamp Work Light (Ceramic fixture) that are 16.49 each (Will handle up too a 100 watt CHE no problem
3. 1.89 in. x 50 yd. 322 Multi-Purpose HVAC Foil Tape 7.99

Add substrate cut two holes on opposite ends of the lid just slight cmaller in diameter so the light won't fall thorugh then tape around the edges to secore them The tape is very heat resistant and will seal gaps. You can attach your UVB fixture to the lid in between the dome holes and can adjust for best height. This is cheap and easy for a tort that will quickly out grow the enclosure

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Save your money and hit Home Depot-
1.Extra Large tote like 65 Gal. Holiday Tree Storage Tote in Clear Base and Red Cover which is 29.98 or 55 Gal. Tough Storage Tote in Black fro 19.98
2. Get two 300-Watt 10-1/2 in. Brooder Clamp Work Light (Ceramic fixture) that are 16.49 each (Will handle up too a 100 watt CHE no problem
3. 1.89 in. x 50 yd. 322 Multi-Purpose HVAC Foil Tape 7.99

Add substrate cut two holes on opposite ends of the lid just slight cmaller in diameter so the light won't fall thorugh then tape around the edges to secore them The tape is very heat resistant and will seal gaps. You can attach your UVB fixture to the lid in between the dome holes and can adjust for best height. This is cheap and easy for a tort that will quickly out grow the enclosure
do you have an illustration of how the lamps should be set up I'm not quite clear on this and I'm assuming you put the foil tape on both sides of the hole actually folding it over it so that there's a foil barrier on top for the hot light to sit on a picture would help greatly

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keeping temps at 80 is great. However, being she is sick, try getting the temp up to 85 day and night and there has to be a basking spot that reaches 95-100. Doing the tote like Blackdog1714 posted would be a great way to go. I used my lights and che's the same way as pictured and the tin foil has always worked to stop the plastic from melting.
Keep up the good work.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Just my logs from last 2 days, tomorrow will be a week since I took her to the vet and started her sterile water injections which I only did for a couple days morning and night and then once a day for only 1 day....still soaking.

mon 2/3
610 am - 30 min soak pedia/carrot... drank some.
645 am - fed alot more...
1045 pm - pedia/carrot soak 20 min 1130pm - ate 5 bites + water shot
tue 2/4 6-620 pedia/carrot soak
620 - 630 ate 2 or 3 good bites of cc
630 put back in box, active walking 6- 8 inches very alet, eyes open
720 750 pedia/carrot soak 750 ate some bites 3 or 4 pooped
(also removed aquarium gravel added coconut fiber.
wed 2/6 630 - 7 pedia/carrot soak pooped 7-710 ate 2 or 3 bites,

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Yes, hydration is imperative for life and something we easily overlook! Keep up the pedia-carrot soaks and HUGE HUGS to you for all the care you are giving her!!!

If I could LIKE you 1000 x I would!
Are the pedia/carrot soaks enough? I only ask because I stopped the water injections a couple days ago and wondered if the soak were sufficient so I dont have to poke her with the needle anymore... ?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just soak her daily and you should be good as long as your temps/humidity are locked in.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Just soak her daily and you should be good as long as your temps/humidity are locked in.
well I'm taking that aquarium back tonight that I got it had all the bells and whistles but the Bulls are too deep and the cave is too big for her probably more for lizards it was the biggest and most expensive one they had for half that price I could build her the enclosure that you showed me the diagram going to go buy me a tote tonight I don't think she's getting the sufficient humidity levels even though it says it's over 40% in there a third of her enclosure is open air

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I suggest an electronic humidity and temperature gauge. For about $20 you can get a stand alone and for about $40 you can get a Bluetooth that has an app for your phone

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I suggest an electronic humidity and temperature gauge. For about $20 you can get a stand alone and for about $40 you can get a Bluetooth that has an app for your phone
Well that won't be that expensive after I trade all that stuff in be nice to have a humidity thing on an app that I could monitor

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have any Mazuri tortoise pellets? Try to find some if you dont have any. There is the older kind and one that says LS on it. If you can get the older kind without the LS on the package. A pet store might carry it. When you get it soak one pellet in water until mushy and see if she will eat it. Most tortoises can't turn it down. If she takes too it then cut greens up very small and smear a soaked pellet all over it. This will help her to eat the greens too and get some more food and nutrition into her.
Get the new enclosure up and running for at least one full day and night before returning the old enclosure. She can't afford to get cold or too hot because your adjustments need tweaking. Best to do all the adjustments before adding tort.
Good luck keep us updated.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Do you have any Mazuri tortoise pellets? Try to find some if you dont have any. There is the older kind and one that says LS on it. If you can get the older kind without the LS on the package. A pet store might carry it. When you get it soak one pellet in water until mushy and see if she will eat it. Most tortoises can't turn it down. If she takes too it then cut greens up very small and smear a soaked pellet all over it. This will help her to eat the greens too and get some more food and nutrition into her.
Get the new enclosure up and running for at least one full day and night before returning the old enclosure. She can't afford to get cold or too hot because your adjustments need tweaking. Best to do all the adjustments before adding tort.
no we don't use the aquarium I'm taking it back she's in her old enclosure where I put the coconut and have it covered two-thirds of the way on the top with plastic tell pulled in the humidity and Heat and the temperature of the coconut all around her with the temperature gun checks at between 82 and 86 which she sleeps right there by those Temps and during the day when it's sunny out my girlfriend takes her outside she said yesterday she was eating grass and weeds and took video she's so cute... this is grass and weeds in my organic garden area so there's no pesticides or anything nasty on it except maybe Chemtrails... LOL... I'm going to buy the tote tonight and also order a Bluetooth humidity temperature reader with all the money I get back from the tank I should be able to deck it out real nice for her

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Will this work?..
Its Thrive brand for juveniles and young adults...

IMG_20200207_085720_021.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never heard of that brand. Can we see the ingredients?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not familiar with that brand either. When I have tried other pellet food my torts wouldn't eat it. Mazuri most torts love.
You can try a little of it but don't be surprised if she doesnt like it