Baby leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flametorch

5 Year Member
Hello, just wanted to say my baby leopard came in on the second, and he looks fine and dandy; however, since he was accustomed to eating pellet food he was a really picky eater and the only thing I've gotten him to eat is chicory. Anyone have any tips on introducing them to dried orchard grass or timothy hay? Or how to prep butternut squash for the guy? (I'll upload pics of him soon)

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I never had luck with getting leopards to eat hay. I feed them spring mix, various green lettuces, and mazuri and they are doing excellent. I'll throw some grated butternut squash in once a week or so also. I gave them some leftover fresh corn (off the cob) the other day and they devoured it.

Don't worry about them eating hay, they will prefer fresh grass or lettuces first. Go get a bag of spring mix from the store and try that for a while. Tear it into small pieces to make it easier to eat.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Seems baby torts in general just don't like dryed hay or grasses at all. greg Tgave good advice re the spring mix. you can try getting some Wheat grass from Petsmart or Petco, the kind they have for the dogs and cats. It is organic and you can cut the tips off it to see if your little one will eat it. Just dampen the greens and it should stick to them. Chicory, dandelions, Escorle are all good pick for torts.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Along with the other advice, just be patient and keep giving him the new items. Worse comes to worse, cut the new things really small and mix in well with the pellets. Gradually reducing the pelleted amount until you have the diet you want him on. I would stay away from the corn however.

Can't wait to see the pictures. You must be having such a hard time spending time doing anything else but looking at him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
IMHO leopards have some of the prettiest shells around, while I have no exp with leo's myself I do know that people suggest that for finicky eaters it is usually best to chop finely the food you want them to eat with what they are eating right now and just slowly increase the amount of the good foods.Just a suggestion

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
hi i feed my leopard hatchlings coarse weeds and finely chopped lawn grass from day one.when they are ready to move to their new homes they all take this type of food readily, it reallly is worth the effort i have fed a shop bought diet years ago to hatchlings that are now adults and their shape is not as good as i would like .my current youngsters are looking a lot more like wc examples.
terry

Flametorch

5 Year Member
Okay here's a video of him, I know a little silly, but it was very cute to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCGf7bt_rk0&feature=channel_page

Anyway, I'm going to need some more tips soon lol. He refuses to eat the calcium powder supplement (and I know its the supplement, because when I hide it by weting the food he almost eats it right away! ...and then stops eating cause he 'tastes' the calcium powder, but he loves the spring mix vegetables) Also, he's been sleeping a lot lately, and there's been rainy whether in NY for 11 days straight!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some people have a tendency to over-do on the calcium powder. Just a small pinch between index finger and thumb is fine. Cute video. And I love the name.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
What are the temps you have him at? The outside temp shouldnt matter if you have him inside in his own enviroment.
You should be able to get butternut squash cubed, in the frozen vegie section.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hi there!

I buy frozen butternut squash. I then boil it in water until it is soft but not mushy. Let it cool, then serve. I cut it up very small for my hatchling. I bought fresh squash once and it was a ton of prep work, and actually more expensive because of all the rind waste.

Side Note: I personally disagree with feeding corn.

You can also get wheat grass at health food stores or even grocery stores, organic. I have found it cheaper there.

Besides decreasing the amount of calcium, you may want to place a cuttlebone in there. Some torts really like them, especially after they have sat in there awhile and don't smell fishy. Just place the soft side up.

Status
Not open for further replies.