Leopard urates excretion

EricaYee

Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
I have a leopard for 4months and recently changed its diet to Pellet to make sure it has enough nutrients since it is a picky eater. I noticed white stuffs in it’s poo every day since then. I once read that leopard seldom excrete urates but mine is like every day and got worried about this. Temperature, humidity, lights are all in place. It is behaving normal, eating, pooping, roaming & sleeping as usual.
Any advice?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Soak the tortoise daily in water that comes up to the middle of its sides for about 15 minutes each day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never seen urates in any of my leopards. What else are you feeding besides the pellets?

EricaYee

Malaysia
120D2EC0-B4F0-4FA4-8CF2-6349B8CFD740.jpeg Hi, I am having a leopard tortoise and i got it 8months ago.
Highest Temperature 35degree Celsius and lowest of 28 degree Celsius. Humidity of 70% averagely. UVB is given and water is always available. I soak it every day for at least 30mins.
Recently I have noticed it’s poo comes with some whitish jelly and it normally happens when the tort missed one or two days of pooping.
I was told that this condition is digestion problem with inflammation probably due to not moving around enough and eating too much.
Anyone can advice me? I am confused with the digestion problem and urates.

EricaYee

Malaysia
EEFB68FB-652C-4803-AD9F-57CE1E4CC3F1.jpeg Only pellet.
It’s poo looked like this today.
Was told that it has parasite.
Treated still with such white jelly poo.
Was also told that it is not digesting well as it eats too much.
Any idea whether it is dangerous?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A pellet only diet is not the way to go. In your climate you should have plenty of green growing food all year. You just have to figure out what is good to feed that grows near you and then take the time to introduce it all to your tortoise.

EricaYee

Malaysia
Thank you Tom.
I tried giving it green initially such as Plantain, mulberry, sweet potato leaves, opuntia etc etc. it was so picky that it only eats a little bit and walks away so I was adviced to give ur pellet until it is bigger.
Any idea what causes the jelly in the poo?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mucousy poo sometimes means they have a flagellate infestation, and that can be taken care of by dosing with Flagyl. But before you worry about that, take a stool sample to the vet and ask him to check for flagellates.