baby pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
The three little hermanni hermanni babies I got from Chris this fall are doing well. I guess he should consider himself sort of a proud papa ;)

3guys1.jpg

3guys.jpg

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Very nice! What is that sub straight? Looks like a mix of Cypress and Aspen!

Could we see their Plastron & keyhole? I'm expecting some hatchlings soon, and want to know what to expect.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
bettinge said:
Very nice! What is that sub straight? Looks like a mix of Cypress and Aspen!

Could we see their Plastron & keyhole? I'm expecting some hatchlings soon, and want to know what to expect.

Yes, it is aspen and cypress mulch. I mist a couple of times a day, and they sleep in humid hides (half-logs with sponges siliconed into the tops). They are also in my herp room, which also has some aquatics, so it's considerably more humid than the rest of the house right now. Their keyholes don't really show up yet at this age, though.

backends.jpg

plastron.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I wonder if based on the anal scutes, if you have the two sexes. See how on one they make a V, and on the other one, its more of a wide U?

Cute kids! How old are they now? Are you keeping track of weights and SCL growth?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
There's just something so captivating about photos of tortoises in groups, especially matched sets like yours. :D

nearpass

10 Year Member!
Meg90 said:
I wonder if based on the anal scutes, if you have the two sexes. See how on one they make a V, and on the other one, its more of a wide U?

Cute kids! How old are they now? Are you keeping track of weights and SCL growth?

They are maybe 5 months old, so not sure how successful any sexing attempt is at this point. They were to have been incubated for female, but that's no guarantee, of course. Yes, I'm keeping track of growth, but I try not to be obsessive about it. When i got them, and they slept most of the time, I was a bit worried and weighed them too much. They are now much more active and behave more like 'real' tortoises, so I have tried to relax about them a bit :rolleyes:

M

Maggie Cummings

Do you get the aspen moist? It doesn't mold? Do you think it holds the moisture like the cypress mulch? I am asking because I have a couple of habitats that I have just changed to half aspen and half moist cypress mulch. I am afraid to get the aspen moist but I really like it and the consistency of it, I'm just afraid it will mold...

nearpass

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
Do you get the aspen moist? It doesn't mold? Do you think it holds the moisture like the cypress mulch? I am asking because I have a couple of habitats that I have just changed to half aspen and half moist cypress mulch. I am afraid to get the aspen moist but I really like and the consistency of it, I'm just afraid it will mold...

I don't get the whole substrate really wet. I mist pretty heavily in the morning when the lights first come on, and in the evening when the 'big' light ( ZooMed Powersun) goes off, so the substrate dries out during the day and slowly during the evening. So far, no molding problems.

I do have the humid hides, which they do sleep in. Aquarium silicone sealer works very well for attaching sponges to the top of almost anything, in my case, half-logs.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Nice tortoises, but still wwwaaayyy too young to positively
determine the gender of yet. I also have some of Chris' (gardenstatetortoise.com) '09 Western (Italian race) Hermann's hatchlings here of. Very hardy, healthy little tortoises. Sorry had to throw in that shamelss plug, Chris is a close friend!

K412

5 Year Member
VA
They are absolutely adorable!!!!
Great pictures!

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Nearpass, that is three very lovely and precious little tortoises you got there! Are they all from the same parents / clutch? Beautiful things.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
Ozric said:
Hi Nearpass, that is three very lovely and precious little tortoises you got there! Are they all from the same parents / clutch? Beautiful things.

I don't believe so, as I got them at slightly different times. They are of the Tuscan Italian subgroup.

TortoiseMD

5 Year Member
Nice torts, what is their size now? how fast have they grown since you got them?

Status
Not open for further replies.