Baby red foot

texasjenna22

Location (City and/or State)
Newbury park
Hi

I have a baby red foot he’s 85 grams. According to the breeder he was a good eater feeding on fruit, collard greens, dandelion greens, and meal worms. Since I got him he only wants to eat fruit and meal worms. How do I get him to eat greens? I’m at a lost. I bought a cage with humidity and temperature and the substrate they had him on so his setup is the same. Any thoughts. Should I stop the meal worms and just feed him greens till he gets hungry enough he eats ?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. Please give us details of the setup including temperatures, humidity, lighting, substrate and enclosure size. The diet should be more varied. I am calling @ZEROPILOT and @Tom for the best possible care advice! Welcome and congrats on your Redfoot baby. Pictures would be great. Thanks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What kind of "cage"
What is the temperature? What is the humidity and how are you measuring it?
IF everything else is set up correctly (im only assuming that it isnt) a Redfoot just wanting to eat the "good stuff" is normal.
back off on the fruit and make the feedings more of the other items and when he gets hungry, he'll eat the other stuff.
Once he gets the hang of it, you can increase the fruit again. Generally, an established captive REDFOOT will devour anything and not just pick and choose.
You enclosure needs to be comfortable in the correct temperature and with the correct lighting level and humidity content for a Redfoot to act what we'd refer to as normal. Or for it to be able to correctly process and digest the foods.