Baby russian sleeps most of the day

vanisle09

I was hoping some people may give me some advice.
My 5 month old Russian tort sleeps for about 10-11 hours of his 12 hour light cycle. He eats and poops but just loves to sleep under his lights.
Our enclosure has all the right temps that are listed on this site.

Is this normal?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Not really. Re-read the care sheet at the top of our Russian section, then tweak your habitat and make adjustments accordingly.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sleep is normal but that might be to much for a 5 month old, check temps, where he is sleeping and go from there. are you sure about it's age? is it WC or CB?

vanisle09

The vet told me he was about 5 months old. His shell is about 2.5 inches. He sleeps on a rock under his lights. He was lethargic about 10 days ago and we took him to the vet and she have us some vitamins to give him daily.
Maybe he is still a little sick?
He seems bored because when I take him out to give him his vitamins he runs all over the place.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
If he is active outside & not in then you may need to examine all your enclosure details again. Maybe post some pic for everyone to give feedback.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I asked about the age to determine if he was WC or CB, at 2.5 inches def. CB, if he is active outsid perhaps natural sunlight stimulayes ( in a good way) him.