Baby shell dents??

Ashes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I'll post pics, but I don't know how well you can see what I'm talking about - I've noticed dents that weren't there before on Little Dudes shell....? It's very hard to get pics so if you can't help, I understand.. :/ they're at the front on either side of his head. I'm not sure if it's a growth thing??
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398820431.432410.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398820447.834413.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398820460.533943.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398820478.370190.jpg

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Mine have that as well, I believe it's from being in their eggy a bit long. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398822490.399680.jpgsee the indent in mine? I'm wondering, does it eventually fill in?

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I'm totally new to the tort world but knead told the "dents" in my Russians shell are from it being wild caught. Since the natural environment doesn't have perfect humidity and heat the shell develops these "dents". Captive bred torts are raised with the "hot and humid" method which allows the shell to grow and develop very smooth.

This is just what I was told so don't hold me to it. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I will come along and give a better answer

Luke&Lou

abclements

5 Year Member
Not sure how the dents happen, but as far as I know, it happens when they unfold from the egg. I noticed mine had a crease in the middle of the front middle schute. It is now gone, 1.5 years later. I'm not sure when it disappeared, but it's no longer noticeable. I'll check tomorrow and see if I can still locate it or not. But it is pretty common and not anything to worry about.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Not sure how the dents happen, but as far as I know, it happens when they unfold from the egg. I noticed mine had a crease in the middle of the front middle schute. It is now gone, 1.5 years later. I'm not sure when it disappeared, but it's no longer noticeable. I'll check tomorrow and see if I can still locate it or not. But it is pretty common and not anything to worry about.
Okay thank you! I swear they weren't there before, but I'm the only person that handles him so I knew he wasn't being dropped or anything. Whew.

abclements

5 Year Member
Ya it definitely doesn't look like drop damage, but it is interesting That you are just now noticing it... I'm sure it's normal, but it might be worth keeping tabs on just in case. As far as mine, it is completely gone.