Baby shell softness

baldegale

heyo, ive had my baby about a month now, im not sure how old he is but hes about 90g right now. at what point does his shell begin to harden? hes sides are a little squishy but the top seems hard(ish). i have everything right, 95° basking, 80-85° ambient, 70-80% humidity, i feed a diet of mainly grasses but for greens are primarily endive/escarole with stuff like kale, turnip greens, dandelion greens, red lettuce, and cilantro mixed in. i dust with calcium sporadically every 1-2 days, also i have an arcadia t5 12% uvb. also, in a 6’x3’ enclosure and i soak every other day roughly

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
All sounds good to me. The shell gradually hardens up and thickens over time. As the baby grows you will gradually notice the shell firming up. You've got a good diet, calcium and UV, and your baby is past the critical baby stage at his current size, so everything should be fine.

baldegale

All sounds good to me. The shell gradually hardens up and thickens over time. As the baby grows you will gradually notice the shell firming up. You've got a good diet, calcium and UV, and your baby is past the critical baby stage at his current size, so everything should be fine.
thats what i figured, is there any estimation on size/age where it should start to harden up more? appreciate the reassurance.

baldegale

@baldegale
Why is that name so familiar?
Are you on any other forums under the same name?
other forums (ball python and bearded dragon) and ive been apart of this forum for about 3 years (i feel like its been way longer). i just kinda come and go. this sulcata wasnt planned at all and was an impulse buy on my dads part (thankfully we have the space and financial security to handle it) but ive been the one doing all the research so ive been frequenting here more again. ive been posting here under the name Shortstopped the past month or so because it wouldnt allow me to log into this account for some reason

Attachments

• 0AAABBDE-C934-4608-B7EA-B0A8C525E5D9.jpeg
    0AAABBDE-C934-4608-B7EA-B0A8C525E5D9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12