Baby Star tortoise not active

Prashant

Hello all,
lately in mumbai india summer is here. temperatures are from 29 degree Celsius to 31 degree Celsius.
humidity is 65% to 71%.
currently soaking them twice a day for 20 mins.

they are kept in enclosure of cocopeatcoir. they are kept 15 to 20 mins in sunlight daily othertimes 20-30 mins in 13w 10.0 UVB bulb.

one of the baby star tortoise doesnt like to go out of UVB light and other baby tortoise doesnt like to be under UVB light at all.

I also provide different types of food with calcium 2-3 times a week. There appetite is not huge.They eat in good amount in cycle of 3 days.

but right now both the tortoise doesnt seems to be active much.whenever we try to approach them they are asleep afternoons or night .if they are asleep we dont disturb them

what i am missing out i am not able to understand there behavior.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That 13 watt bulb is likely burning their eyes. I would turn it off ASAP. Use a long tube type, or don't worry about indoor UV since yours get real sunshine daily.

How many stars do you have? If they are living as a pair, this is extremely stressful and the long term chronic stress can hamper their immune system.

When indoors they need a basking area that is around 36-37 C for 12-13 hours a day. They need this so they can warm up when they want to. Outdoors, they would use the sun for this purpose.

What is the overnight low temperature? If its lower than 27C, then they need some supplemental night heat. A ceramic heating element set on a thermostat works best.

I wrote this for sulcatas and leopards, but care for stars is exactly the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Prashant

Thanks @Tom I will keep them separate from now on .Any guesses how much time that baby juvenile take the time to come out of stress and could find its own personality.It seems to be shy from the beginning may be due to health reason or was bullied by another juvenile. this baby had health issues at the start when we brought her in.now baby is okay with the health.

Prashant

@Tom i separated them and also took them to vet .examined feces they are having protozoa and wormload .and also one baby has water retension in the body so vet said that baby's lungs /kidneys/heart is weak couldent find it out what actually.So need some help with the food that could make lungs kidneys stronger .Now water retention is gone after 5 days, vet has prescribed tabs to use while soaking.
any special care i could take.

Prashant

Also again there is little air or water which is getting stored in the skin between the hands and head ,same ways at both the ends .
The baby not able to retract fully inside shell.medication is effective only for few days.
Why this happens in the tortoise can anyone explain.

zovick

10 Year Member!
The tortoise's kidneys are failing. It will most likely not live. Do you also see any redness in the seams of the shell? That is another bad sign.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Its not turning red

That is good because redness under the surface of the scutes or blood oozing out the seams indicates advanced septicemia and the animal will soon die. In this case, I think your tortoise has kidney failure at the least which is causing it to retain water and making it appear swollen. I don't know that there is any treatment or cure for that. I would ask your vet about this condition and see what he thinks. Meanwhile, just keep soaking it daily and see what happens. Does it still eat?

Prashant

hello @chin_lee Yes after separating them the baby tortoise is recovering slowly.but looks like it will take time to recover size have not increased yet.hoping for the best .appetitte is increased now

Skyh3ck

India
@Tom i separated them and also took them to vet .examined feces they are having protozoa and wormload .and also one baby has water retension in the body so vet said that baby's lungs /kidneys/heart is weak couldent find it out what actually.So need some help with the food that could make lungs kidneys stronger .Now water retention is gone after 5 days, vet has prescribed tabs to use while soaking.
hey man

i am also from Mumbai , which vet did you took them too, can you give me details, just pm me as its hard to find a proper vet in mumbai

Prashant

@Skyh3ck Inbox me your number i will contact you ! there are no good vets that i found so far one is good at mahim but far from my place i stay at dahisar .

@chin_lee the baby is recovering slowly but yes can see good signs now.rating moving around it seems that it will take time to recover.

@zovick the water retention issue is now gone.have not seen the same thing happening again it was happening purely due to stress I suppose.

Parthjain

India

Hi Prashant,
Can you please give me contact number and address of Vet where you got the feces checked? Actually i am not able to find a good Vet.

Ayush Agarwal

India
Hey I got 2 baby tortoise n one is very active who plays bt the other stays quite sits at one place n eats very less. I keep the both in a tub. Can you temme how to solve the issue I mean the one is very inactive bro

Melis

Maryland
Hey I got 2 baby tortoise n one is very active who plays bt the other stays quite sits at one place n eats very less. I keep the both in a tub. Can you temme how to solve the issue I mean the one is very inactive bro
Welcome!

You should start your own thread so it gets more attention from members.

Ayush Agarwal

India
This is my pet which sits silently never play n is quite inactive

Attachments

• 857E0F70-E1AD-4CCD-BA70-6D6B60C42B98.jpeg
    857E0F70-E1AD-4CCD-BA70-6D6B60C42B98.jpeg
    993.4 KB · Views: 34

vicky219

india
This is my pet which sits silently never play n is quite inactive
Its baby like human baby , have to sleep more time ...
Depends on habitatant..
If he is not eat & other issue definitely visit nearest venterian..!