baby sulcata & grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetzzz

5 Year Member
You mentioned yvonne that babies don't really eat grass til they're a little older and that's exactly what the breeder I purchased my 2 sulcatas from told me. I'm paranoid, and scared I'm not feeding them the right diet. The breeder has me feeding them a mixture of kale, endive, shredded squash, chopped up cactus, cut rose petals and green bell peppers. His adult sulcatas eat grass but he also grows squash, bell peppers, chiles and roses, all in which they get in to and he's never noticed any problems with their health which is why he recommended those for their diet. He said when they get about 9 months to start introducing grasses hopefully to transition them. Is this right? Everything I've read says otherwise, but then again, I haven't been able to find anything about baby appeties til now. Help?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most everything that is written tells you what the larger sulcatas should be fed. To be perfectly honest with you, in my experience with babies, they just don't eat grass, hay or weeds until they are a little older...say two or three years. I don't know how they manage to stay alive in the wild, but then "in the wild" is quite a bit different from being in your home.

The person you got your baby from gave you good advice. It is quite ok to follow it.

You can buy a product called "Salad-Style Hay" from either carolinapetsupply.com or oxbow.com. It is cut up dried orchard grass and it smells sweet and fresh. Put your greens and veggies on the feeding station, then sprinkle a small amount of the hay over the food. This will get him used to the smell and feel of the hay and helps him start eating it sooner. You can even cut some grass with the scissors and put the grass over his food. Just be sure its clean grass. and...

2683276ls534tcn28.gif

to the forum!!

M

Maggie Cummings

I cut grass from my lawn and sprinkle that over cut up Spring Mix for all of my babies. That way IMO they get used to the taste and feel of grass I also put them out on my lawn whenever the sun shines and all the babies no matter how young bite at the growing grass...

Status
Not open for further replies.