Baby sulcata right eye won't open

Jake1997

I have noticed for about week now that his right eye will not open. His left eye is opening just fine. I think i am doing everything properly. Im soaking him about 3-4 a week, feeding about 2-3 times a week and the ambient temp is around 77 and basking spot around 90. Could a UVB light that has lost most if its UVB power be the cause? Is there anything i can do for him to open his eye up naturally or should i try to open it?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
He should be soaked daily, fed daily not 2-3 times a week and the ambient needs to be no less than 80. I see you've been a member her for a while, have you read those caresheets that were linked to you? Tell us about the lights and substrate. When you soak him pour water over his head and it could flush something out of his eye.

Jake1997

Oh okay got it. The lights are just basking lights and a desert UVB 15 W light. The substrate is reptibark and i have looked at the care sheets a while ago but i will defiantly go over them again.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have noticed for about week now that his right eye will not open. His left eye is opening just fine. I think i am doing everything properly. Im soaking him about 3-4 a week, feeding about 2-3 times a week and the ambient temp is around 77 and basking spot around 90. Could a UVB light that has lost most if its UVB power be the cause? Is there anything i can do for him to open his eye up naturally or should i try to open it?
A problem with just one eye for that long usually indicates something in it, or a scratch/injury to the eye. The soaking is definitely a good routine. I would also get some eye drops and sooth that eye.

You UVB would not be a problem for it being too old. And if too strong, it would normally not be just one eye. At 15 watts, sounds like an 18" tube?? They do not put out a lot of UVB to begin with, and probably if over 1 yr old, may be giving out hardly any now.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
As mark stated eye drops are a great idea. This ointment works really well.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484417941.488579.jpg

Jake1997

how would i use the eye drops? since his eye is shut would i just put them on the eyelid?

Digger&Blinky

This happened to Blinky (my russian tortoise) after he had a long nap have you tried bathing him and washing his eyes with warm water if you have any eye drops (for tortoises) use those.

Jake1997

yes i have but i am going to start soaking him everyday. I am also going to get some eyedrops and see if that helps.

Digger&Blinky

First use the warm water to ease them open a bit then apply them directly above the eye so it runs down his face into his eye.

Digger&Blinky

If you have a straw type substrate that is very bad for their eyes i reccomend you get the sand/dirt one (they love to dig in it)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
If you have a straw type substrate that is very bad for their eyes i reccomend you get the sand/dirt one (they love to dig in it)

This substrate he is is perfectly fine and absolutely no Sand/soil

Jake1997

How would you open his eye to put the eye drops in? If he puts his head in his shell there is no way to get it. But i also don't want to mess with the eye too much because i imagine its a pretty sensitive area.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How would you open his eye to put the eye drops in? If he puts his head in his shell there is no way to get it. But i also don't want to mess with the eye too much because i imagine its a pretty sensitive area.

When using the eye ointment pictured above, you squeeze a tiny bit onto the tip of the tube then place that bit onto the eyelid. Then massage it in so it sticks. It doesn't have to actually get onto the eyeball to do its job.