Baby sulcata sleeping schedule

Ccaldarelli

Location (City and/or State)
Largo, FL
Hello! I am new to this forum as well as being a new baby sully owner. I researched for months before making the decision and I have still found myself panicking over every little thing. :) I want to make sure my baby is thriving!
I have noticed my tortoise sleeps a good portion of the day. She does get up and move around and eat for an hour or so. Should I be waking her up to soak? Is it normal for her to be sleeping that much? Any tips or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I am new to this forum as well as being a new baby sully owner. I researched for months before making the decision and I have still found myself panicking over every little thing. :) I want to make sure my baby is thriving!
I have noticed my tortoise sleeps a good portion of the day. She does get up and move around and eat for an hour or so. Should I be waking her up to soak? Is it normal for her to be sleeping that much? Any tips or recommendations would be much appreciated!
Most of the care info for sulcatas is wrong, and most breeders don't start them correctly. Then people go to the pet store and get more wrong info and all the wrong products. Its a sad state.

Mark is right on. Babies do sleep a lot, but they will sleep a lot more if conditions aren't right, or if they had a bad start. My babies are active for several hours each day. The thread he linked for you will get you all squared away. Please feel free to comment or question any of that.

Ccaldarelli

Largo, FL
Most of the care info for sulcatas is wrong, and most breeders don't start them correctly. Then people go to the pet store and get more wrong info and all the wrong products. Its a sad state.

Mark is right on. Babies do sleep a lot, but they will sleep a lot more if conditions aren't right, or if they had a bad start. My babies are active for several hours each day. The thread he linked for you will get you all squared away. Please feel free to comment or question any of that.
Thank you for your reply! Thankfully I found this forum before I got her and have done almost everything you had listed in the care sheet post that I found a while back. I saved that and have studied it. I am hoping as she gets used to her new environment here she will perk up more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for your reply! Thankfully I found this forum before I got her and have done almost everything you had listed in the care sheet post that I found a while back. I saved that and have studied it. I am hoping as she gets used to her new environment here she will perk up more.
In that case, the big scary question is: Where did you get your baby and how was it started?

Ccaldarelli

Largo, FL
In that case, the big scary question is: Where did you get your baby and how was it started?
Pinellas county reptiles. I had a hard time finding a breeder that had sulcatas and know of a few people that got their babies from this same location and never had any issues. I guess that was my first mistake.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pinellas county reptiles. I had a hard time finding a breeder that had sulcatas and know of a few people that got their babies from this same location and never had any issues. I guess that was my first mistake.
It might not be a mistake. Do you know how those babies are started and where they are buying them from?