Baby sulcata tortoise lighting/heating

Brittanyp1113

Location (City and/or State)
Midlothian Texas
Sorry, that doesn't sound right. I don't know of any T5 HO tube that is only 8 watts. Something isn't right there. Can you post of picture of the package for us so that we can make sure you've got the right UV tube for your baby?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240821-152121_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240821-152121_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240821-152129_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240821-152129_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I'm having trouble finding t5 uvb tube fluorescent light 12% if you have a link or name that could assist me that would be great. Thanks
Sure. This one is a good lamp:

Or this one:

This one is unfortunately is out of stock, but you may ask for it in local pet stores or Lightyourreptiles about restocking:

Brittanyp1113

Midlothian Texas
Sure. This one is a good lamp:

Or this one:

This one is unfortunately is out of stock, but you may ask for it in local pet stores or Lightyourreptiles about restocking:
So the one I posted won't work?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
This is the one I currently have & I'm hoping it's ok.
I really hope it works well. I've explained earlier that UVB lamps are complex and precise pieces of tech and many chinese lamps have issues (exploding electronics, dangerous output spectrum, unpredictable lifespan, improper reflector labels and so on). I really wish there were cheap decent trusted alternatives to Arcadia, ZooMed or Reptile Systems lamps.

"On the paper" this lamp should be fine (if it's marked as 10.0 or 12% UVB). But without some measurement gadgets (like Solarmeter 6.5) you can't be sure.

Brittanyp1113

Midlothian Texas
I really hope it works well. I've explained earlier that UVB lamps are complex and precise pieces of tech and many chinese lamps have issues (exploding electronics, dangerous output spectrum, unpredictable lifespan, improper reflector labels and so on). I really wish there were cheap decent trusted alternatives to Arcadia, ZooMed or Reptile Systems lamps.

"On the paper" this lamp should be fine (if it's marked as 10.0 or 12% UVB). But without some measurement gadgets (like Solarmeter 6.5) you can't be sure.
What zoomed would you recommend I can't afford to get the arcadia.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
What zoomed would you recommend I can't afford to get the arcadia.
I posted a link to PetSmart here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/baby-sulcata-tortoise-lighting-heating.218171/post-2140617

The price range for quality UVB lamps is more or less the same, though. Arcadia lamps can last several years, so while upfront costs are high, in a long-term they often come cheaper.

If you can't afford good UVB lamp right now you can take your tortoise outside for 15-30 minutes a day for sunbathing (you can combine it with daily soakings). From 10 to 11AM is the best time (check local weather forecast when UV index is 4-5). Always, so this supervised and don't leave your tort under direct sunshine.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
A step aside from the UVB lamps: cheap options for the "closed chamber" enclosures are portable greenhouse tops, hydroponic grow tents and covered flower beds. Upgrading from a 20 gallon tank is now more important than UVB lamp (I presume there will be a lot of hot sunny days ahead in Texas).

Brittanyp1113

Midlothian Texas
Wattage for T5 tubes is related to tube length. 24 watts are usually 22" long and that's enough - you need to provide UVB just in the basking area.
Ok thank you for your help. My son found our new addition at the pond by our house & we don't know if he got out of someone's yard or what but so far nobody has claimed it. So we're going to keep it & I want to make sure I have everything I need for it.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Ok thank you for your help. My son found our new addition at the pond by our house & we don't know if he got out of someone's yard or what but so far nobody has claimed it. So we're going to keep it & I want to make sure I have everything I need for it.
Okay, please ask questions if any. I would be happy to help.

Just in case: I'm not selling lamps and if some recommendations are out of budget - it's okay and we'll try to figure out alternatives.

Brittanyp1113

Midlothian Texas
Okay, please ask questions if any. I would be happy to help.

Just in case: I'm not selling lamps and if some recommendations are out of budget - it's okay and we'll try to figure out alternatives.
Thanks so much. I just have fallen in love with this little guy/girl and want the best for him/ her. Here's a pic of the little guy/girl

Attachments

• 20240820_113037.jpg
    20240820_113037.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks so much. I just have fallen in love with this little guy/girl and want the best for him/ her. Here's a pic of the little guy/girl
Yes, they are adorable! I cannot imagine my life without a tortoise now :)

Tom's care guides (linked here https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/baby-sulcata-tortoise-lighting-heating.218171/post-2140186) will help you to raise him thriving and healthy. And always keep in mind a question "What I'm gonna do with his next 10 pounds?" :)