Baby

Sbrown

Location (City and/or State)
Hernando MS
I’ve never posted in a forum. Hopefully I figure out all this quickly. Question: How much holding is too much for a new hatchling? I feel like a total helicopter mom with this little girl. [emoji28]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the tortoise seems stressed by being held you'll see a difference in their behaviour. Each one is different and you have to go by your own tortoise's reaction to it.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Generally handling is stressful for tortoises. Some people like to handle them every day so the tortoises get used to it. I think they will feel more comfortable if you hold them in such a way that their legs aren't dangling.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm on the other side. Handle at least every day and not just when taking them out too soak. Touch their legs, tail, head, etc. I did my hatchling leopard and my junior leopard and my adult russian. They can now be touched any place without clamming up. If they should ever have too see a vet there will be no problem examining them. I also am not delicate with them. I'm not ruff, just not delicate either.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings... Feeding and soaking times are great opportunities to interact and touch and pet and scratch and clean your tort. I know we did this with our Sully from day 1 and to this day she’s like a big baby...

That said, i think it is also good to not constantly pick them up and carry them about willy nilly “just cause.” I tried to never reach into Sullys hide and “drag her out” to soak or check, etc. it’s their safe house - safe, dark, no long-handed monsters yanking at them.

So, i think there is a good balance..just enough not too much. Very scientific. :)

Sbrown

Hernando MS
Thank you so much everyone! Right now her eating and activity are both healthy and I’m really excited seeing how she just came home Wednesday (the 5th). She’s had a soak a day and isn’t shy at all. [emoji5]