Backgrounds and mesmerised tortoises eg Alan, Tyrone and Princess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Does anyone else's tortoises get mesmerised by their picture backgrounds? I find Alan staring at his for ages!
I know Tyrone and princess do!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I watched a tort one time just zone out looking in the direction of a jungle type background, maybe daydreaming,...lol :D

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
Does anyone else's tortoises get mesmerised by their picture backgrounds? I find Alan staring at his for ages!
I know Tyrone and princess do!!!

Today he was in his soaking dish just staring at it, then all of a sudden he started doing this push up dance thing! I was watching then started laughing and he turned around and looked at me! I think I caught him doing synchronized swimming exercises!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Video, you need to catch him on a video. Sounds cute. I bet he gave you the stink eye, when you caught him:D

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Video, you need to catch him on a video. Sounds cute. I bet he gave you the stink eye, when you caught him:D

Oh what a good idea! I have video on my phone! And boy did he give me the stink eye!

Then this morning, I got up late.. Been burning the candle at both ends, I realized poor Tyrone was still in the dark and rushed to turn on his lights and there he was staring away ...at his food bowl! He knows his schedule alright! I felt so bad poor thing acted like he was starving!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Oh what a good idea! I have video on my phone! And boy did he give me the stink eye!

Then this morning, I got up late.. Been burning the candle at both ends, I realized poor Tyrone was still in the dark and rushed to turn on his lights and there he was staring away ...at his food bowl! He knows his schedule alright! I felt so bad poor thing acted like he was starving!

Get it put on! I love seeing Alan stink eyeing me at 6am every morning from his shallow bath under the heat lamp!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
Get it put on! I love seeing Alan stink eyeing me at 6am every morning from his shallow bath under the heat lamp!

Haaaa ahhhaaaa!

Well poor Tyrone, exhausted from staring at the background fell fast asleep next to his shallow bath ...!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Haaaa ahhhaaaa!

Well poor Tyrone, exhausted from staring at the background fell fast asleep next to his shallow bath ...!

Aww bless him ... We've had some problems with his heat lamp this weekend and boy is Alan not happy! I've substituted a 100 watt while I've had to order in his usual 150watt -roll on Wednesday!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
Aww bless him ... We've had some problems with his heat lamp this weekend and boy is Alan not happy! I've substituted a 100 watt while I've had to order in his usual 150watt -roll on Wednesday!

Aww poor guy! ... I got into a disagreement with the daughter today... I sing this little song to him and I swear he will look at me and come running when I do it. She says "Mom, he comes out because he hears noise, not because he recognizes you!" I beg to differ, he will come running when I sing his song ...

Sung to the tune of "Mellow Yellow"

They call him little fella,
He's brown, green and yella
I love my little fella

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

( yes I know I am projecting human emotions onto my tort, but it's my fantasy, so why ruin it)

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Aww poor guy! ... I got into a disagreement with the daughter today... I sing this little song to him and I swear he will look at me and come running when I do it. She says "Mom, he comes out because he hears noise, not because he recognizes you!" I beg to differ, he will come running when I sing his song ...

Sung to the tune of "Mellow Yellow"

They call him little fella,
He's brown, green and yella
I love my little fella

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

( yes I know I am projecting human emotions onto my tort, but it's my fantasy, so why ruin it)

Hee hee I bet he loves your singing and I think that is defo why he comes running! I've just put some spag moss in today to see if I can increase his humidity-less wattage =less humidity :( hey I also tried him with pomegranate ! He looked and then walked off! Cheek! :)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
Hee hee I bet he loves your singing and I think that is defo why he comes running! I've just put some spag moss in today to see if I can increase his humidity-less wattage =less humidity :( hey I also tried him with pomegranate ! He looked and then walked off! Cheek! :)

Don't you just love it when they are not impressed with all your efforts! ..the last few nights Tyrone has been sleeping next to his water dish, he wants nothing to do with his hide... I think it is getting to small for him, he is growing like a weed! So I tried the flower pot on the side, he wants nothing to do with it! Although he does look adorable sleeping, I worry he needs a hide... Any thoughts on what I should try? His hide was a half log, he now doesn't use

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Ha ha yeah I know! Alan has half a log but he's only tiny I guess. He's also got half a small terracotta pot. However, in the morning he's always under his lamp near his bath/soak area! Can you not get the biggest half log? Or maybe a bigger half terracotta pot? Do you know your log? Have you found it going mouldy with the humidity?

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
Ha ha yeah I know! Alan has half a log but he's only tiny I guess. He's also got half a small terracotta pot. However, in the morning he's always under his lamp near his bath/soak area! Can you not get the biggest half log? Or maybe a bigger half terracotta pot? Do you know your log? Have you found it going mouldy with the humidity?

I got the biggest half log they have, and I just checked it and yes the edges are going moldy! Yikes! I bought a bigger terra cotta pot, he just doesn't seem to like it, I also bought a plastic one and cut it in half and cut the bottom off thinking he liked the way he could walk thru with the log. Nope he still won't touch it!

I was thinking of this igloo thing

image-3771097952.png

Watsonpartyof4 said:
I got the biggest half log they have, and I just checked it and yes the edges are going moldy! Yikes! I bought a bigger terra cotta pot, he just doesn't seem to like it, I also bought a plastic one and cut it in half and cut the bottom off thinking he liked the way he could walk thru with the log. Nope he still won't touch it!

image-636385862.png

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:

Loving the castle?igloo thing!!!! Surely he'd like that! If not you'll be going out to chop the thickest tree down, cutting it in half and carving it out lol!!! ;)
I've got the biggest log thing too :) how big is Tyrone? Alan's 10cm from the top, centre of his shell, from head to tail end. This is just his shell, he's only about 17months old :)

yagyujubei said:
Mine are always staring off into space - No doubt plotting my overthrow.

Lol :) they are funny!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
Loving the castle?igloo thing!!!! Surely he'd like that! If not you'll be going out to chop the thickest tree down, cutting it in half and carving it out lol!!! ;)
I've got the biggest log thing too :) how big is Tyrone? Alan's 10cm from the top, centre of his shell, from head to tail end. This is just his shell, he's only about 17months old :)

Lol :) they are funny!

Aww Alan is just a wee baby! Tyrone, measured the same way is 24.1cm! More that twice his size! Tyrone is about 5 years old!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Aww Alan is just a wee baby! Tyrone, measured the same way is 24.1cm! More that twice his size! Tyrone is about 5 years old!

Oh my! Lol! This makes me think in 3.5years Alan may be bigger than Tyrone? I can't wait for him to be big! Is Tyrone a definite boy? I know I won't know with Alan yet but he has a big tail Rolf! :)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
Oh my! Lol! This makes me think in 3.5years Alan may be bigger than Tyrone? I can't wait for him to be big! Is Tyrone a definite boy? I know I won't know with Alan yet but he has a big tail Rolf! :)

Yep Tyrone is definitely boy! I have not seen his wee thing yet, but I am waiting....! He is growing everyday it seems! And my gosh does he eat a lot!
I just love him so much! I am definitely getting him the turtle chia for Xmas!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Yep Tyrone is definitely boy! I have not seen his wee thing yet, but I am waiting....! He is growing everyday it seems! And my gosh does he eat a lot!
I just love him so much! I am definitely getting him the turtle chia for Xmas!

Ha ha! Alan is putting weight on but his shell seems to be the same measurement. He was 78g in July this year when I bought him and today he's 118g! My husband says can they grow out of their shell lol!? When did tyrones shell start getting bigger? Alan loves his food too but he seems to have his own routine of when he eats it!
Tyrone will love his Christmas present I'm sure! If he doesn't then you'll be felling trees! Hee hee ;)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
Ha ha! Alan is putting weight on but his shell seems to be the same measurement. He was 78g in July this year when I bought him and today he's 118g! My husband says can they grow out of their shell lol!? When did tyrones shell start getting bigger? Alan loves his food too but he seems to have his own routine of when he eats it!
Tyrone will love his Christmas present I'm sure! If he doesn't then you'll be felling trees! Hee hee ;)

It is hard to say... One minute he looked the same then all of a sudden he looked bigger...lol! Then I noticed the shiny new growth. I swear that happened over night. Especially since he started eating the crack, also known as Mazuri. He gets that 2-3times a week. When we got him the bigger enclosure, my husband freaked out and said Oh great! Now he is going to be 6 feet long! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.