Backgrounds and mesmerised tortoises eg Alan, Tyrone and Princess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Well Tyrone of course made me look like a liar... After gorging himself on twice the normal amount of Mazuri I usually feed him, he stomped and romped all over the place and parked his happy butt right under the MVB!

So maybe the little stinker has me twisted around his paw, because I couldn't help but feed him extra Mazuri! Let's see what he does today ..no Mazuri!

Super sulk I bet! He's turning into a spoilt brat lmao! Hee hee. Alan's been trying to drag mango into his hide today! :)

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Well Tyrone of course made me look like a liar... After gorging himself on twice the normal amount of Mazuri I usually feed him, he stomped and romped all over the place and parked his happy butt right under the MVB!

So maybe the little stinker has me twisted around his paw, because I couldn't help but feed him extra Mazuri! Let's see what he does today ..no Mazuri!

Omg same here! Yesterday Princesse dug a big hole underneath the MVB and plopped herself in it. She's never dug before! So weird, but she looked so proud of herself :)
And sorry, I've never used strip UV so I really don't know what those numbers mean.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
diaboliqueturtle said:
Omg same here! Yesterday Princesse dug a big hole underneath the MVB and plopped herself in it. She's never dug before! So weird, but she looked so proud of herself :)
And sorry, I've never used strip UV so I really don't know what those numbers mean.

Awww what lighting do you use?

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I use the 125w SolarGlo, so I get heat and UV in one bulb and I added a 100w CHE as well for added heat. The CHE is now always on since our house is old and drafty. I also had to build a cover for the tank to keep the heat and humidity in. We might move again so I'll wait till then to upgrade my enclosure.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
diaboliqueturtle said:
I use the 125w SolarGlo, so I get heat and UV in one bulb and I added a 100w CHE as well for added heat. The CHE is now always on since our house is old and drafty. I also had to build a cover for the tank to keep the heat and humidity in. We might move again so I'll wait till then to upgrade my enclosure.

I see.....Alan's had to go in a viv as we too live in a old,cold,drafty house! I've had to block some of his air holes to create more humidity and heat (he has 4 lol so I won't suffocate him hee hee).

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Unfortunately, still a lot of heat escapes since the holes aren't tight around my lights. My temps are good though. Next enclosure will have heat ropes.

Attachments

• image-4075659663.png
    image-4075659663.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
diaboliqueturtle said:
Unfortunately, still a lot of heat escapes since the holes aren't tight around my lights. My temps are good though. Next enclosure will have heat ropes.

I love the way you can see her from all angles! Great top bit too! I guess some heat would need to escape and some humidity? My temps are fine ... I was reading about the heat ropes on here and about buying certain ones and beware of what you buy as red foots need a damp substrate to create humidity etc... Put a thread in for advice or try and find the one I'm on about ... I'll try and look for it but don't think I commented :(

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
Super sulk I bet! He's turning into a spoilt brat lmao! Hee hee. Alan's been trying to drag mango into his hide today! :)

He is pouting! Oh boy is he ever pouting!

He stomped all once his dish of greens and tossed them out and the proceeded to wee in his dish! ... I believe that translates into "**** on this, give me my Mazuri" ...:(

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:

He stomped all once his dish of greens and tossed them out and the proceeded to wee in his dish! ... I believe that translates into "**** on this, give me my Mazuri" ...:(

Rofl!!!! Sounds like he's a teenager or man pmt!!! Give him some ....awww

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Watsonpartyof4 said:

Hahaha naughty naughty!

Alan RF said:
I love the way you can see her from all angles! Great top bit too! I guess some heat would need to escape and some humidity? My temps are fine ... I was reading about the heat ropes on here and about buying certain ones and beware of what you buy as red foots need a damp substrate to create humidity etc... Put a thread in for advice or try and find the one I'm on about ... I'll try and look for it but don't think I commented :(

Thanks! We had to be able to see her at all times, and she gets loads of attention :)
I did start a thread about the heat cables last month, and I still think its a good option but I doubt my current tank could accommodate it. We are possibly moving so I chose to wait to build a new enclosure at the new house, to make sure it fits and works with the conditions there.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
diaboliqueturtle said:
Hahaha naughty naughty!

Thanks! We had to be able to see her at all times, and she gets loads of attention :)
I did start a thread about the heat cables last month, and I still think its a good option but I doubt my current tank could accommodate it. We are possibly moving so I chose to wait to build a new enclosure at the new house, to make sure it fits and works with the conditions there.

Judging by the present enclosure I'm sure you'll make something fantastic for her :) New home for both of you then if it all goes to plan :)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I wish I was handy and could build something I would make it two stories!

I have Tyrone's viv covered also but not tightly and the lights are inside, I use a 100w MVB and a 75w repti sun red heat bulb. And a house hold 60w. At night the MVB and the 60w goes off and I turn on another 75w repti sun red heat. Keeps his enclose about 75-80 at night. During the day it is 8o-85 on the cool end and 90-95 on the warm end.

Despite what everyone says that that Redfoots don't bask, I find Tyrone will nap under the heat light, and then he will go in his soaking dish then go sleep in the hide. Before he eats he will sit under the heat...I say the DO bask! :p

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Totally! Princesse is a sunbathing queen too! And oddly enough, my little hatchling boxie is sunning herself right now as well. My little baby is growing up and wants to be like her big sister :)
I gotta admit I'm pretty handy, I started working with my dad's construction company when I was 14, and he taught me how to safely use power tools. I'm also a bit of a hippy/granola, I have issues with buying something I can make myself...

Oops, I meant "hippie", not a comment on the size of my hips :-D

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
diaboliqueturtle said:
Totally! Princesse is a sunbathing queen too! And oddly enough, my little hatchling boxie is sunning herself right now as well. My little baby is growing up and wants to be like her big sister :)
I gotta admit I'm pretty handy, I started working with my dad's construction company when I was 14, and he taught me how to safely use power tools. I'm also a bit of a hippy/granola, I have issues with buying something I can make myself...

And Alan! Every morning under his heat lamp-even dug himself a hole right under the lamp lol. Picture of your boxie sunning it!!! :)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
diaboliqueturtle said:

Ha ha ha I am sure your hips are fine!

I am big on recycling, I like to take discarded furniture and repurpose it for other things, so I am learning to use power tools ....here is my next project I want to make several of these to sell

image-3907631796.png

Alan RF said:
And Alan! Every morning under his heat lamp-even dug himself a hole right under the lamp lol. Picture of your boxie sunning it!!! :)

Tyrone does that too at night, he will come out of his hide and make a tunnel right under his heat lamp and sleep under it, all you can see is the top of his shell!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Ha ha ha I am sure your hips are fine!

I am big on recycling, I like to take discarded furniture and repurpose it for other things, so I am learning to use power tools ....here is my next project I want to make several of these to sell

Tyrone does that too at night, he will come out of his hide and make a tunnel right under his heat lamp and sleep under it, all you can see is the top of his shell!

OMG my bedlington terrier would love that! That is one spoilt dog! I'm guessing that's its own music system?
Tyrone and Alan must be brothers lol! That's if Alan is a boy?! I'll have to wait a few more years before I can tell ;)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Ha ha ha it was an old floor model tv! I am always "curb shopping" picking stuff up people throw away and making something new out of it!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Ha ha ha it was an old floor model tv! I am always "curb shopping" picking stuff up people throw away and making something new out of it!

Good on you! Save the landfill sites! Merry Christmas Eve from Alan and me (Sam!) :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
OMG!!! I love, Love, LOVE that dog bed!!! You are incredibly creative!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.