Backyard project

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Ok, the past few weeks I've been working on cleaning up our backyard (or the half of it that contains trees). Whoever lived in our place before us obviously NEVER did any work (lots and lots of leaves, branches, etc). I've been cleaning it up and finally almost done. So now I have lots and lots of dirt. A good bit of the area gets sun but a good bit is still shady. I'm wanting to get some grass growing in that area along with some other goodies that they'd like. Any advice on some shade tolerant grass seed mixes I can Use? And plants I can put back there as well? Maybe certain types of weeds? This will be my starting point in gaining a green thumb!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ok, the past few weeks I've been working on cleaning up our backyard (or the half of it that contains trees). Whoever lived in our place before us obviously NEVER did any work (lots and lots of leaves, branches, etc). I've been cleaning it up and finally almost done. So now I have lots and lots of dirt. A good bit of the area gets sun but a good bit is still shady. I'm wanting to get some grass growing in that area along with some other goodies that they'd like. Any advice on some shade tolerant grass seed mixes I can Use? And plants I can put back there as well? Maybe certain types of weeds? This will be my starting point in gaining a green thumb!

This thread contains a list of plant suggestions:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Bee62

Germany
Gras is very sun-hungry. In the area where almost shade is you will have problems to grow gras. Can you put down some big trees so your yard gets more sunlight ?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Gras is very sun-hungry. In the area where almost shade is you will have problems to grow gras. Can you put down some big trees so your yard gets more sunlight ?
I think it depends on the type of grass. The part of our lawn that is in the shade has the thickest lushest grass.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is shade hardy grasses. Don't know if they are tort safe or if they would want to eat it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Any advice on some shade tolerant grass seed mixes I can Use? And plants I can put back there as well? Maybe certain types of weeds? This will be my starting point in gaining a green thumb!
If you're not worried about needing berries, most black berries will grow anywhere. I'd try squash and Boston fern as well.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
If you're not worried about needing berries, most black berries will grow anywhere.

Have you spent too much time in the sun? ;) I spend hours each year trying to get rid of the blackberries in my yards, haha! - if you want a berry bush though, maybe look into some of the thornless varieties. They cost more, but they are so much nicer to work with.

What area are you in? that may have some effect on what plants we suggest.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Gracias, amigo! The one half of our yard has plenty of grass and weeds they go to town on. I figured, get the eye sore tree area fixed up and grow a little slice of heaven for them. So far, fescue is what I'm looking into for the shady area. I bought some of the grazing seed mix from Carolina pet supply a while back so I figured use what I can in the areas that get more sun? I see what plants I can get growing

Oogway the russian tort

i heard that bermuda grass can tolerate shade and is a dessert grass meaning you don't have to water it a lot once it has a strong foundation of grass.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
i heard that bermuda grass can tolerate shade and is a dessert grass meaning you don't have to water it a lot once it has a strong foundation of grass.
OMG! Do you know how much time money and effort is spent to kill Bermuda grass around here? :) yes, it grows well everywhere. And it spreads everywhere. It will definitely keep your tortoise fed.

Clawem

Tractor Supply has grass specifically for shade. I believe it is a mix of rye grass.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I know it's a DIRTY word. (I still have property in Catawba)
But how about KUDZU? It grows anywhere. It's edible and it's free. It should make some great shade, too.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
How about KUDZU? It grows anywhere. It's edible and it's free.
And how edible IS it for sulcata or leopard tortoises? Completely, leaves, stems, flowers and seed. Or just partly. Can it be fed like grass as a regular grazing food, or should it be limited? How is it for fiber content?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
And how edible IS it for sulcata or leopard tortoises? Completely, leaves, stems, flowers and seed. Or just partly. Can it be fed like grass as a regular grazing food, or should it be limited? How is it for fiber content?
Wow, Ken. That's a lot of information that I don't have.
All I know is a ton of animals eat it and it grows like wildfire in the OPs area.
I had it all over my land untill I purchased some goats.
The goats got stolen. But not before they cleared the Kudzu.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The goats got stolen.
Stolen goats in Florida? That's crazy. Texas, Arizona, New Mexico sure, but Florida? We're the goats all fat and tasty looking? I'd probably take them then too.
I asked all those questions because I couldn't find any information about them on TheTortoiseTable at all. I like to offer variety in a diet but I can't picture that stuff growing "like wildfire" in the Sahara desert regions.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Stolen goats in Florida? That's crazy. Texas, Arizona, New Mexico sure, but Florida? We're the goats all fat and tasty looking? I'd probably take them then too.
I asked all those questions because I couldn't find any information about them on TheTortoiseTable at all. I like to offer variety in a diet but I can't picture that stuff growing "like wildfire" in the Sahara desert regions.
No. Sorry. From my South Carolina property.
From what I think I know, Kudzu was bought to the area as a food plant and has now taken over vast areas. Including the northern South Carolina.
I figured that it could be put to use.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
I spent so much time pulling up English ivy in this area it ain't even funny! With the way it grew in that part of my yard, it was a complete eye sore! Now that it's all pulled up, I'm burning all the years worth of leaves and branches that were back there and then going to get some attractive yet delicious stuff for the shelled friends to munch on!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Dichondra does well in shade and is edible. I like clover too, but it can become invasive if allowed.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
With you typing that word and a little help from Google, I can honestly say that there's already some of that throughout my yard lol