Bad tortoise eye.

vanessazhu19

Location (City and/or State)
novi michigan
I just bought a new tortoise but i think there’s something wrong with his eye it only opens a little and he scratches it a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_4188.jpeg
    IMG_4188.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I just bought a new tortoise but i think there’s something wrong with his eye it only opens a little and he scratches it a lot.
It certainly does look sore - has he been near anything like hay or sand which could have irritated it? I would suggest you wipe his eye gently with a damp cottonwool pad, and do this regularly every few minutes. Did you get him from a pet shop or from a breeder?
Angie
Oh, and of course I should have said Welcome !
There will be more knowledgeable people coming on the forum soon, I'm sure , if my suggestion doesn't help.

vanessazhu19

novi michigan
It certainly does look sore - has he been near anything like hay or sand which could have irritated it? I would suggest you wipe his eye gently with a damp cottonwool pad, and do this regularly every few minutes. Did you get him from a pet shop or from a breeder?
Angie
Oh, and of course I should have said Welcome !
There will be more knowledgeable people coming on the forum soon, I'm sure , if my suggestion doesn't help.
thank you! i got him online so he was shipped and i just got him yesterday i have soaked him and rubbed his eye with a damp a tip. i also have part of my set up with top soil and sand and rest is cypress mulch.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
thank you! i got him online so he was shipped and i just got him yesterday i have soaked him and rubbed his eye with a damp a tip. i also have part of my set up with top soil and sand and rest is cypress mulch.
You should remove the sand. Yes, many recommend it, but there is a risk of eye problems, and impaction, so unless you want to take the risk, I would remove it. Actually it's your tortoise that takes the risk.
Seeing you just got him, it's likely either from the person you got him from or the shipping.