Watery eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogart20

5 Year Member
I just noticed today that ziggys (4 month old Indian star tortoise) right eye is watery and he isn't opening it. His left eye is fine and he opens it just fine. But I'm worried, I know watery eye is a sign for being sick. What should I do??

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Make sure there is nothing in his eye try cleaning it out with eye dropper if one eye is fine he must have some thing in it my iguana had the same thing happen one time

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I agree - wash his eye out and see if that helps. If it doesn't, you can use Terramycin. It doesn't necessarily mean he's sick - he could just have an eye infection. Good luck@

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Is the liquid coming out or the eye clear, like tears? Or does it look like something else?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What type of substrate is he living in ? What are your humidity levels? What is your soak schedule like?

bogart20

5 Year Member
It's clear like a tear. It's not streaming out of his eye buts little tear.
He lives on coco substrate and cypress mulch and some orchard hay.
His humidity is around 50- 70 at all times and his temps run from about 103 to 75

And I checked. Nothing in the eye. He just is napping alot. And when I pick him up his eyes ate closed usually untill there's water, them he opens his eyes and wanders for a while then goes to sleep again. Is this normal for stars or would a vet visit b best??

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Baby torts sleep a lot, that's normal. If he's got a big appetite, that's a good sign that he's probably not sick. What kind of lights are you using? Certain types of light bulbs are not good for their eyes...

My adult redfoot tortoise has watery eyes. Some people think that's a sign of dehydration, low humidity, or even vitamin A deficiency. But, I know she's well-hydrated. Also, she had watery eyes during the middle of the hot rainy season in Florida, so I know it's not from low humidity either. She gets vitamin supplements and foods with beta carotene, so I know it's not vitamin A deficiency. It's kind of a mystery to me, but she's healthy in every way, so I've stopped worrying about it.

bogart20

5 Year Member
He didn't eat much today but yesterday he ate every bit of his food. But he's only as big as a ping pong ball so he doesn't eat a huge amount in the first place.
I use mvb bulb and a black night heat bulb at night.
I no longer use the coil bulb when I found out its horrible for their eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.