Bad tortoise eye.

vanessazhu19

Location (City and/or State)
novi michigan
I just bought a new tortoise but i think there’s something wrong with his eye it only opens a little and he scratches it a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_4188.jpeg
    IMG_4188.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I just bought a new tortoise but i think there’s something wrong with his eye it only opens a little and he scratches it a lot.
It certainly does look sore - has he been near anything like hay or sand which could have irritated it? I would suggest you wipe his eye gently with a damp cottonwool pad, and do this regularly every few minutes. Did you get him from a pet shop or from a breeder?
Angie
Oh, and of course I should have said Welcome !
There will be more knowledgeable people coming on the forum soon, I'm sure , if my suggestion doesn't help.

vanessazhu19

novi michigan
It certainly does look sore - has he been near anything like hay or sand which could have irritated it? I would suggest you wipe his eye gently with a damp cottonwool pad, and do this regularly every few minutes. Did you get him from a pet shop or from a breeder?
Angie
Oh, and of course I should have said Welcome !
There will be more knowledgeable people coming on the forum soon, I'm sure , if my suggestion doesn't help.
thank you! i got him online so he was shipped and i just got him yesterday i have soaked him and rubbed his eye with a damp a tip. i also have part of my set up with top soil and sand and rest is cypress mulch.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
thank you! i got him online so he was shipped and i just got him yesterday i have soaked him and rubbed his eye with a damp a tip. i also have part of my set up with top soil and sand and rest is cypress mulch.
You should remove the sand. Yes, many recommend it, but there is a risk of eye problems, and impaction, so unless you want to take the risk, I would remove it. Actually it's your tortoise that takes the risk.
Seeing you just got him, it's likely either from the person you got him from or the shipping.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Check this out: