Banana Pectinata

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Mexican spiny tail iguanas. Ctenosaura pectinata. This variety is called "banana pectinata" due to the yellow colors.

If you are in to lizards, you can't do much better than this. They are dog tame, and I mean dog tame. They come to you just because they want to. The first one I ever saw was a juvenile and the owner slid the door open, called the lizard and it came out of its hide and calmly walked right up her arm and onto her shoulder. She then handed the lizard to my daughter and it sat/explored/hung out on her for the duration of our visit. Here is that lizard. It was only a few months old and not colored up yet:
IMG_5920 copy.jpg

Around that same time, several years ago, I saw these at a private tortoise facility in AZ. This is an adult pair, male and female:
IMG_2639 copy.JPG
IMG_2635 copy.JPG

It took me a few years, but I finally got my own. A friend of a friend has two pair and breeds them. Here is mom and dad:
tempImage1tHpi9.png
tempImagenYaYyW.png

And here are my new babies!
tempImageVJL8MS.png
tempImage3IkkQa.png
tempImaget2konZ.png
I knew that as adults they become super calm, comfortable with people and tame. I had no idea HOW tame, and I had no idea the babies would be so tame. They just calmly climb onto any offered hand and tongue flick almost immediately. Tongue flicking is an exploratory behavior and generally indicates that a lizard is relaxed and comfortable with its surroundings. When they are stressed or scared, they don't tongue flick.

They will stay mostly indoors as babies, but they will live in a large rocky, arboreal style outdoor cage when they get bigger. I'll give them a heated night box like the tortoises. These guys thrive in hot weather. The parents were in the sun basking in the guy's 100 degree backyard when I picked up the babies last week. They had shade available, but they were sitting in the sun.

As babies they eat 90% bugs and 10% greens. As adults they eat 90% greens and 10% bugs. The breeder had two main care details for me, other than all the usual lizard stuff: 1. Keep them hydrated. He said his don't really drink from bowls, so I am to spray the babies several times a day. It totally works. They lick up the drops and drink at every spray. I soak them in shallow water too, and that seems to work. 2. Give them a hot basking area. This species likes to get warm during the day.

I bought 10 of them intending to sell or trade a few to friends and family. Let me know if you want one or a few. I'll keep a few and then buy some more from another source to make pairs or trios for breeding. I'll keep the adults in 8x8 cubes outside, with a night box attached. Those will be a super fun build, and I'll make. thread on that when the time comes. I'll start building this winter when the weather is cooler. Its miserable outside mid day here right now. 100-108 every day.

It should come as no surprise to anyone here that I'm eager to talk about them. Questions and comments welcome!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow😃! They are wonderful. So interesting that the pectinata are so calm. I understand that the Ctenosaurus similis is supposed to be the world's fastest lizard? Anyway, congratulations on your new adorable little green babies!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
what size space to they need as an adult. You are keeping them in 8x8 is that what you recommend as basic/minimum size?

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
I was always under the impression these guys took quite a bit of work to tame down and were pretty skittish.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow😃! They are wonderful. So interesting that the pectinata are so calm. I understand that the Ctenosaurus similis is supposed to be the world's fastest lizard? Anyway, congratulations on your new adorable little green babies!
I used to keep WC imported pectinata back in the late 80s and early 90s. They tamed down relatively well, but they were never 100% tame. In time they were better than a typical green iguana, but never great. This variety is something completely different even though it is considered the same species. The feral ones that have invaded Florida are some nasty customers. Wouldn't want to take that bite. These CB bananas are polar opposites to their wild brethren. Many of the captive bred Ctenosaura varieties are fairly tame nowadays, but I think this type is on another level of tameness.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So cute, congrats. What size are they full grown?
Will be fun to see their growth, so keep us updated please.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
what size space to they need as an adult. You are keeping them in 8x8 is that what you recommend as basic/minimum size?
The parents were in a 3x5x6 foot tall enclosure, and that seemed plenty roomy for them. These guys are considerably smaller than green iguanas, so much more manageable. I arrived at 8x8x8 because I like to make my outdoor cages out of pressure treated 4x4s. I like the look and they hold up very well in the elements. I'm no master carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, but no one will ever call my builds small or flimsy. You could park a car on top of my night boxes. They may not be pretty, and the finish work may be lacking, but they are sturdy. 8x8 is certainly bigger than "necessary" but I've got plenty of room, so why not? I've got baby rhino iguanas coming in September and they will eventually have 12x8x8 when they move outside. Or maybe I'll do two 8x8s side by side with a closable door in the middle is I can separate them if needed... hmmmm....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These guys are awesome! Love the panda “pieds” also
I was always under the impression these guys took quite a bit of work to tame down and were pretty skittish.
Me too!!! Those are next. Taking to a breeder in AZ in November...

I knew the adults were easy peasy, but I didn't expect the babies to be so chill. I've raised lot of baby iguanids and lots of other baby lizard species too, so I'm not surprised by the skittishness of baby lizards at all. I am shocked and very pleasantly surprised at how tame, calm and easy to handle these little guys are. One day one I dropped my hand into the tote of ten of them, and three of them looked at my hand, walked over and tongue flicked. None of them ran or panicked, and one of them hopped right onto my hand. ON DAY ONE they did this!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So cute, congrats. What size are they full grown?
Will be fun to see their growth, so keep us updated please.
A big male might reach 3 feet including tail. Females a little smaller. This breeder has another pair that is considerably smaller. I'm getting some of those babies too:
tempImageOdgo70.png

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
What do you keep their temps and humidity at Tom. Im guessing lowish humidity and not quite as hot as chucks or uros. Maybe a lil morning humidity bump then let it drop as it would be in their native range?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I see common green iguana babies just about daily.
Those are very distinct looking. Especially the heads.
The shape is more like a Water Dragon than a "regular" iguana.
A similar lizard. A ROCK IGUANA is as close to it as I've seen.
They're most unusual