Bark mulch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knighterson

5 Year Member
I bought a bag of this at home depot for pickles outdoor enclosure and was considering adding some to his indoor enclosure too, as it needs a little more substrate. Then I came across a thread on the red foots page that says to ONLY use cypress mulch, no other types, is this the same recommendation for sulcatas? If so, out of curiosity, why? Will this substrate harm him? If so I'll change it out immediately. I'm sure this has already been discussed, but i cant find anything. Thanks

Attachments

• image-3584682507.png
    image-3584682507.png
    931.8 KB · Views: 34

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
Did you check the ingredients? I'm not sure exactly but I think certain woods have something to them that can be toxic for torts. Idk. I tried to buy mulch at my Home Depot but wasn't 100% sure all the ingredients were tort friendly.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
The toxic mulches are going to be cedar, and dyed mulches. Cypress works well bark works well too. Cypress will hold moisture a little better than bark mulch. Eucalyptus, and orchid bark are great to use. I recommend mixing any of the stated above mixed with coco coir to sustain maximum moisture at longer levels than just mulch by itself. Your fine with product though.

knighterson

5 Year Member
Thanks. I wasn't sure of the ingredients, so ultimately I decided against it. That's what happens when you buy something based on price haha

Status
Not open for further replies.