Bark - suitable substrate or not?

Per Ehn

Hello all tortoise lovers!

I've been using a 50/50 sand and soil mix for my Hermann's Tortoise for about ten years now and find that my room gets really dusty after a while.

I just watched Kamp Kenan’s latest Youtube video about baby tortoise care, where he recommended to use a soil and bark mix for tortoises. I assume this dusts way less which makes me real curious about changing into that. After some googling though I found several pages that were strongly against using bark for tortoises. What do you guys think?

Here’s a link to the video in case you’re interested:

Many thanks in advance!

/// Per

Namnlös.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Killerrookie

I watched that exact episode yesterday. I would change the sand because it's known to do bad things to tortoises. I don't see a problem with using wood or bark substrate. It's safe in my opinion.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Large chunks of bark are difficult for small tortoises to walk on, and can cause problems with their legs. I didn't watch video, at work ;), but small pieces are great. Needs to be the right kind though. Cedar is bad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Per:

I use orchid bark. Orchids are very sensitive plants and won't grow with additives in the growing medium, so "orchid bark" is pure. It is made from fir bark. I like the small kibble version because the babies have no trouble walking on it. Also, being small, it breaks down quicker and pretty soon you have a very nice substrate for baby tortoises. I don't mix my orchid bark with anything. But for baby box turtles, I add plain potting soil in with the bark.

Per Ehn

Thanks everyone!
I'm looking forward to switching over to soil/bark substrate :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Sounds like the substrate needs more water at a deeper level. Spraying just doesn't penetrate deep enough.

My preferred substrate is a mix of soil (finished compost, really) and coconut coir. Shh, don't tell anyone there's still some sand in it, too.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Did you guys see how he housed his young reds and elongated torts together outdoors

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I use orchid bark, top soil, and green moss in my enclosures.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello all tortoise lovers!

I've been using a 50/50 sand and soil mix for my Hermann's Tortoise for about ten years now and find that my room gets really dusty after a while.

I just watched Kamp Kenan’s latest Youtube video about baby tortoise care, where he recommended to use a soil and bark mix for tortoises. I assume this dusts way less which makes me real curious about changing into that. After some googling though I found several pages that were strongly against using bark for tortoises. What do you guys think?

Here’s a link to the video in case you’re interested:

Many thanks in advance!

/// Per

View attachment 132516
Hi. I use soil as coir is not available here (in Jordan). Got no other choice I'm afraid.