Russian tortoise substrate brand

EE torts

Location (City and/or State)
USA
So i have been using a mixture of eco earth and reptile bark for my Hatchling russian tortoise and it has been pretty good but it is very dusty even though i mist it twice day and there seem to be lots of bugs like fruit flies or something. So i was thinking of changing it to a topsoil our there any brands that you guys recommend? i have tried the natures care ether potting mix or raised bed soil cant remember. so any suggestions would be nice thanks!!!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
If it is dusty, then it is not moist enough. The substrate should be moist all over and if this is a baby, 80 to 100 percent humidity. Put more water in and mix it up all over till everything is moist

EE torts

USA
i already do that but i have to do it ever week so i thought if i could find a substrate that i wouldn't have to do that to so often that would be ideal. also the bugs that come with the eco earth, even though everyone says they our not harmful i still would prefer not to have them. :)

TortoiseRacket

New York
I’d reccomend mixing in organic bonsai soil. Nobody seems to know about it but it holds humidity and helps the eco-earth. Hope that helped!
-Mickey

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
You’re not going to find anything that doesn’t require you to add humidity, unfortunately. If it helps, when he’s an adult, he won’t need things damp.

You can’t use regular potting soil or mix; they tend to have things mixed in with them like pesticides or fertilizer. If you can find clean plain dirt near you, can try that but I don’t think it will be less dusty.

@TripodThe3FootedGecko, welcome! I’ve only just looked at what is in bonsi soil this minute, seems like clay, some soil, and different types of lava rock? I’m not sure what other owners would think about its suitability for a baby and am eager to find out! Interesting for an adult Russian, perhaps.

TortoiseRacket

New York
Thanks! I’ve never seen anyone use it, I found it in my local garden center and I thought- “Hey! I could use this in my bioactive crested gecko tank with eco-earth!” It seems to work very well and holds humidity. I’ll post on the debatable topic about it and see what people think!
-Mickey

EE torts

USA
Okay thanks for everyones help i will stick with the eco earth for now and just change it out to get rid of the bugs:<3:

tortgirl5

Illinois
I never had bugs in my substrate. Are they outside? Could old food be in your enclosure ?

EE torts

USA
I never had bugs in my substrate. Are they outside? Could old food be in your enclosure ?
yeah it could be old food but even when i completely change it out it still has little bugs, i have seen other people complain about this two.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Dose anyone think i could use this topsoil? View attachment 263522
witch one should i use if any?
They may be organic, but they all contain additives including water conserve. None is suitable.

Plain unadulterated coco coir or fine grade orchid bark is much better.
eg https://www.homedepot.com/p/Garden-Supply-Coco-Peat-Brick-3-Set-300coco/203463756

I personally don't like using top soil, even when you do get it without additives, as it tends to go muddy and/or compact when damp as it needs to be in a Tortoise enclosure.

EE torts

USA
They may be organic, but they all contain additives including water conserve. None is suitable.

Plain unadulterated coco coir or fine grade orchid bark is much better.
eg https://www.homedepot.com/p/Garden-Supply-Coco-Peat-Brick-3-Set-300coco/203463756

I personally don't like using top soil, even when you do get it without additives, as it tends to go muddy and/or compact when damp as it needs to be in a Tortoise enclosure.
thank you! i will stick to my eco earth then :)