Basking area temp not hot enough

Tinytortmama

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
We have a fluorescent basking bulb that in the beginning (late August) was keeping her basking area at 95ish degrees. Now, its not heating up above 80 degrees. The bulb seems to be working fine and is not blown. I've used two different thermometers, and both say the same temps. What should I do, change the bulb or get a new bulb housing? Sorry for the stupid question, but I wouldn't expect the bulb to be bad already. Ideas?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have a fluorescent basking bulb that in the beginning (late August) was keeping her basking area at 95ish degrees. Now, its not heating up above 80 degrees. The bulb seems to be working fine and is not blown. I've used two different thermometers, and both say the same temps. What should I do, change the bulb or get a new bulb housing? Sorry for the stupid question, but I wouldn't expect the bulb to be bad already. Ideas?
Florescent bulbs make no heat and are not used for basking. You need and incandescent flood bulb for basking.

Has the room temperature changed with the onset of fall? Sometimes you have to go to a higher wattage bulb, or move your current bulb closer.

What species of tortoise do you have? Are you using and open topped enclosure? Pictures of the bulb and enclosure will help us advise you better.

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
Florescent bulbs make no heat and are not used for basking. You need and incandescent flood bulb for basking.

Has the room temperature changed with the onset of fall? Sometimes you have to go to a higher wattage bulb, or move your current bulb closer.

What species of tortoise do you have? Are you using and open topped enclosure? Pictures of the bulb and enclosure will help us advise you better.

Yes that’s wha

Shoot, that's what I meant. Ill attach pics of what I have. The GE ones have both blown already, so I ordered the Sylvania ones. Sulcata. No changes in the room, I have the CHL on a thermostat and have moved the bulb closer. I have a greenhouse enclosure, and temps and humidity have all been good until recently.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 1
  • thumbnail_image0.png
    thumbnail_image0.png
    24 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes that’s wha

Shoot, that's what I meant. Ill attach pics of what I have. The GE ones have both blown already, so I ordered the Sylvania ones. Sulcata. No changes in the room, I have the CHL on a thermostat and have moved the bulb closer. I have a greenhouse enclosure, and temps and humidity have all been good until recently.
Your Sylvania bulb is a LED. No heat from that. At least you know your CHE and thermostat are working correctly! :)

The packaging is very confusing nowadays. They hide the details in the fine print. Now you buy a "65 WATT" bulb and in the fine print in the corner it say "LED" or "LED Replacement", etc....

Get an incandescent flood bulb, and you will be back in business. When I find a particular brand and bulb that works, I buy a 6 or 12 pack of them just to have on hand.

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
Your Sylvania bulb is a LED. No heat from that. At least you know your CHE and thermostat are working correctly! :)

The packaging is very confusing nowadays. They hide the details in the fine print. Now you buy a "65 WATT" bulb and in the fine print in the corner it say "LED" or "LED Replacement", etc....

Get an incandescent flood bulb, and you will be back in business. When I find a particular brand and bulb that works, I buy a 6 or 12 pack of them just to have on hand.
@Tom Is this correct?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am having trouble locating any that are incandescent, daylight, and flood style. Is soft white ok in a pinch? I just searched amazon and Lowes Hardware, and Lowes has nothing at all :(
They are getting harder and harder to find. Sadly for our tortoises. Soft white is fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I found these, and I think they are white light, not red. Could these work too?
They are trying to confuse us with vague packaging. Is that a spot or a flood? It ill say what it is on the actual bulb, but it doesn't appear to say it on the package. Floods are good, spots are not. I usually use the Phillips, Sylvania or GE. Cheaper than pet store branded merchandise.