1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

BASKING ARTICLE

Discussion in 'Tortoise and Turtle Articles' started by SULCY, Jan 23, 2018.

1. SULCY

SULCY Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    NEW YORK
    Loni and WithLisa like this.
  2. SULCY

SULCY Active Member

NEW YORK
  3. Salspi

Salspi Active Member

Chicago
    Great read thanks
  4. nextut

nextut New Member

Singapore
    It's quite a long read. Hopefully someone will summarize.
  5. HawaiiHermann

HawaiiHermann Member

Hawaii
    In essence:

• There is not a long history of using artificial light and heat sources for reptiles, and many products on the market for this purpose were designed for other uses (household lighting, paint drying, etc.) and not optimized for reptiles
    • When tortoises bask under natural sunlight, their bodies heat up evenly throughout
    • When tortoises bask under artificial sources, the heating is uneven and concentrated at the top of the shell. Basking long enough to warm their extremities can cause burns or heat damage at the top of the shell
    • Artificial sources are more drying than natural sunlight
  6. Oxalis

Oxalis Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Michigan
    Thanks for the summary; the graphics are great but the text could use some minor proofreading. Nonetheless, these are important points for serious tortoise keepers and vets. :) This is why I'm glad to get my tort out in natural sunlight as much as possible. I'm hoping to employ a greenhouse type of structure for him in our next house.
    Viola B likes this.
  7. izzzzzz6

izzzzzz6 New Member

France
    Just waned to add that it is important to avoid halogen type lamps. They can look just like incandescent lamps which can usually be considered an ok heat source if used correctly, however the halogen style lamps cause hot spots. If the light bulb appears to have another smaller lamp inside it is probably a halogen, the shops around here still sell those as they are considered slightly more energy efficient than the traditional ones. I order my incandescent lamps online and i avoid cheap makes as the cheap ones don't last long. Distance is critical and it's not easy to decide exactly how far above the substrate to position them, i experiment quite a bit with various thermometers positioned below the lamps. So basically i use approx 1x 100W incandescent per tortoise and i sometimes add a small heat mat near by for when my tortoises are inside during colder weather. But they must have a cool place to hide. I have at least one lamp per tortoise. Some people use smaller than 100W but i don't think smaller than 100W are really hot enough (depending on your species). One tip is to use a lamp splitter, i use the screw in type lamps and a splitter will enable you to screw two lamps into one lamp holder, then two x 60W might be fine in one holder as you now have 120W and might be able to get a bit more even coverage. But first check your not overloading your lamp holders max wattage.
    LoonyLovegood likes this.
  8. izzzzzz6

izzzzzz6 New Member

France
    i also spray and or sprinkle water on the substrate, daily if i can remember.
    LoonyLovegood likes this.
  9. Loni

Loni Member

Maple Ridge, BC Canada
  10. LoonyLovegood

LoonyLovegood Active Member

Colorado Springs, CO