Basking? Asking for dora

Danajmc

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Bought terra cotta bowl and house for dora..

Think she likes

Hope I got this right17201300410562019909612112068364.jpg

Completely buried herself in coco coir making her bed for the night..

I watched her close last few days.. I turn her on at 9 and off at 11.. she doesn't get up till 12 or 1pm comes out for a stretch and water then back to bed again

Comes out again bout 5 or 6 and eats, either basks or goes back to bed..

I bath her everyday at 8.. she still has alot of dry skin but it's getting better and it coming off know

After bath she will bask or just go straight back to bed...

Let me know if I'm doing anything good, bad or dangerous..

thanks 😊

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yay improvements are looking good!🙌🏻

May I ask what the basking light is you’re using? I don’t think I could find the answer in your other thread.
Have you got a temp gun you can check directly under the light with? Just to make sure your monitor is correct as the dial ones can be inaccurate, and to check that slate under the light isn’t getting too hot👍

You’ll also find it so much easier putting the basking bulb and any ambient lighting on a 12 hour timer, from around 9 till 9🙂

The saucer and hide are lovely additions🥰

Mimicking this kind of set up in a much larger base with the correct uv, will be ideal moving forward, to give the much needed roaming room😊

When housing them indoors(which I know in our uk climate, we have to often🫤)the appropriate uv is important, so that will be a great next step🥰that can be on its own separate timer for 4hours from noon.

Oh and I’m not sure if it was maybe just in the photo, but I’d make sure that wire isn’t inside the enclosure🙂

Attachments

• IMG_1985.jpeg
    IMG_1985.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 0

Danajmc

Ireland
Yay improvements are looking good!🙌🏻

May I ask what the basking light is you’re using? I don’t think I could find the answer in your other thread.
Have you got a temp gun you can check directly under the light with? Just to make sure your monitor is correct as the dial ones can be inaccurate, and to check that slate under the light isn’t getting too hot👍

You’ll also find it so much easier putting the basking bulb and any ambient lighting on a 12 hour timer, from around 9 till 9🙂

The saucer and hide are lovely additions🥰

Mimicking this kind of set up in a much larger base with the correct uv, will be ideal moving forward, to give the much needed roaming room😊

When housing them indoors(which I know in our uk climate, we have to often🫤)the appropriate uv is important, so that will be a great next step🥰that can be on its own separate timer for 4hours from noon.

Oh and I’m not sure if it was maybe just in the photo, but I’d make sure that wire isn’t inside the enclosure🙂

Yay I noticed the wire just there... I was moving thing around... looking into her temper stuff on amazon and other reptile sites.. going to get a heat pad for night time too..

Even though it's July it still seems to be cold at night.. I bought the timer today too and a bookcase to use as housing just waiting on pond liner so it doesn't rot on me..

Going to get a table to get her off the ground too...

The light I have at moment is the one I got with her.. not going to keep it.. it's has a 2 in uva and uvb so I was told. I brought it to the pet shop but anything that guy told me was wrong

17201328888221853196789990505566.jpg

EXO TERRA
solar glo
220-230V 50Hz
125W

Going see about the temp gun too.. didn't think that it could be too hot.. I taught it might be to cold cause she won't eat.. when she does it's very little

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yay I noticed the wire just there... I was moving thing around... looking into her temper stuff on amazon and other reptile sites.. going to get a heat pad for night time too..

Even though it's July it still seems to be cold at night.. I bought the timer today too and a bookcase to use as housing just waiting on pond liner so it doesn't rot on me..

Going to get a table to get her off the ground too...

The light I have at moment is the one I got with her.. not going to keep it.. it's has a 2 in uva and uvb so I was told. I brought it to the pet shop but anything that guy told me was wrong

View attachment 373454

EXO TERRA
solar glo
220-230V 50Hz
125W

Going see about the temp gun too.. didn't think that it could be too hot.. I taught it might be to cold cause she won't eat.. when she does it's very little
Yeah the basking bulb needs replacing with an incandescent floodlight(example attached)

2 in one bulbs are never good, get separate uv in the form of a t5 fluorescent tube light, either Arcadia 12% or zoo med reptisun 10.0, mounted roughy 18-20 inches from the substrate.

Also heat pads are a no go, they aren’t safe for the tortoise to have access to, they can overheat, there’s been some horrible instances😣

If your night temperatures are dropping too low, get yourself a CHE(ceramic heat emitter) it’s a non light emitting heat bulb, it needs to be on a thermostat, I’ll attach examples. Simply hang the bulb in the middle of the enclosure, set it for a night time temperature in the 60’s and place the probe in the cooler end. Plug the che into the thermostat and the thermostat into the mains, it’ll be plugged in 24/7 at the mains, but the thermostat will only turn it on when the temperature drops at night, or in the event the floodlight isn’t heating the entire enclosure enough on colder days. A dome fitting for the CHE will probably work best, just don’t use the clamp fitting the dome comes with, always fix securely by a hook or something alike.

You could be right that it might not be hot enough under the bulb, though I doubt it with a 125w, it’s good to check if it’s too hot or too cool. Once you get the right basking light, hang it a similar height and check with the temp gun every few hours to make sure it’s right, directly underneath should read 95-100f, the rest of the enclosure ranging 75-80 during the day👍

Attachments

• IMG_1669.png
    IMG_1669.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1684.jpeg
    IMG_1684.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1679.png
    IMG_1679.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1683.png
    IMG_1683.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1733.jpeg
    IMG_1733.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1

Danajmc

Ireland
Yes I actually ment the che but I taught it was a pad not a bulb..

Any ordering the rest the stuff and when I pit her in her new enclosure I'll send in lots of pics

You know, so you can fix all my mistakes 😂😂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yes I actually ment the che but I taught it was a pad not a bulb..

Any ordering the rest the stuff and when I pit her in her new enclosure I'll send in lots of pics

You know, so you can fix all my mistakes 😂😂
Aw no worries! When someone first mentioned a che to me I had no clue what it was either!

Yay can’t wait to see the progress, you’re so wonderful for working on giving her a better life🥰she’s lucky you took her in!❤️

Danajmc

Ireland
Aw no worries! When someone first mentioned a che to me I had no clue what it was either!

Yay can’t wait to see the progress, you’re so wonderful for working on giving her a better life🥰she’s lucky you took her in!❤️

Doing my best anyway.. when I saw her all cold and in the dark I didn't even think just said I'd take her..

Still have a lot to learn but at least she warm now.. and doesn't have bugs in substrate 🤢

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Doing my best anyway.. when I saw her all cold and in the dark I didn't even think just said I'd take her..

Still have a lot to learn but at least she warm now.. and doesn't have bugs in substrate 🤢
Hello!

Just in case, you can check your order with us before placing it. Heating and lightning are expensive and there is a lot of confusion on the topic.