Basking + Heat Lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesusdancer9

5 Year Member
I am almost ready to bring home a Russian Tort, but I have to set up the lamps in her enclosure. For now she will be residing indoors (hopefully not for to long) and I have two lamps. One is a general basking lamp, the other is a Noctournal Infrared Heat Lamp for night time temps. I do have two questions about them though. Do I need to keep the basking lamp on all night or will the noctournal lamp be enough for night time? Should I keep the noctournal light on all day, or just the basking lamp?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
They need the basking light turned off at night. As to if the temps will stay high enough, your going to have to just try it and see. You may end up needing a CHE (ceramic heater emitter) or the like for added heat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, if he doesn't get outside, he needs a light with UVB, does your basking light have that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You probably won't even need the red light at night until winter time. Most house indoor temps - room temp - are fine at night for steppe tortoises.

jesusdancer9

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Also, if he doesn't get outside, he needs a light with UVB, does your basking light have that?

Yeah it does have that :) Thanks for the help

jesusdancer9

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
You probably won't even need the red light at night until winter time. Most house indoor temps - room temp - are fine at night for steppe tortoises.

Yeah that what I thought, my room will be fine without it until it gets colder out

Status
Not open for further replies.