basking spot too hot.

mattramsfan76

so after setting up my enclosure and moving the MVB i have to the highest point possible with my lamp stand, the basking spot for my baby leopard tort that is coming on tuesday is still 110. this was on her basking rock that we moved over so its not right under the basking spot. the substrate read 95 on a temp gun... right now the MVB is about 13-14 inches from the bottom. any suggestions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, your temperatures are just fine.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
What is the temperature at carapace height in the hottest spot? Place a rock that is the same size as your tortoise under the basking spot, and measure the temp there 10 mins later. Making sure that temp doesn't get too high is super important, or the top of the carapace can get burnt. If necessary, just raise the fixture a little higher. :)

mattramsfan76 said:
so after setting up my enclosure and moving the MVB i have to the highest point possible with my lamp stand, the basking spot for my baby leopard tort that is coming on tuesday is still 110. this was on her basking rock that we moved over so its not right under the basking spot. the substrate read 95 on a temp gun... right now the MVB is about 13-14 inches from the bottom. any suggestions.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If you raised the fixture to its highest level and it's still 110, which I think may be too hot for a Russian, try placing books under the stand to raise it higher. That's why I like 100w bulbs because you can better regulate temps when it comes to babies. If the baby stays under the basking light for too long under those temps, he can overheat and/or burn his carapace. Monitor temps often as you try to adjust his lamp.

* Sorry, I thought it was a Russian. Leos can tolerate basking temps of 110; however, if the baby wants to sit in his basking temps for too long, I would try to get basking temps to 105 tops with frequent misting of carapace.