Bath time

Hhollylouise

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
Ive had my hermann tortoise for just over 6 weeks now ( 7 months old ) i bath daily for atleast 30 mins normally around 40 mins i bath in the evening as i leave for work before the lights go on ( i leave at 5:30 ) lights on at 7 i get home at 4pm and give her a bath straight away ive seen alot of people say this is to late she needs to be bathed before food theres no signs of dehydration and ive not had a problem so far , she baths herself when she wakes up and drinks from her water bowl and often walks through it i see from the camera ( i watch her all day at work as i love her to much ) is this okay to keep doing at this time the lights dont go off till 8 , and she often basks after a bath and sometimes even goes in her water herself after a bath 😂 , in the summer should i do 2 baths a day and wake her up earlier and give her a bath before i go to work and after or is just one enough and also if i go out for the day is it okay to change the time and bath her before incase im not home in time

Attachments

• B10DF76E-A775-4C6D-8438-C1B5C48D3FB9.jpeg
    B10DF76E-A775-4C6D-8438-C1B5C48D3FB9.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ive had my hermann tortoise for just over 6 weeks now ( 7 months old ) i bath daily for atleast 30 mins normally around 40 mins i bath in the evening as i leave for work before the lights go on ( i leave at 5:30 ) lights on at 7 i get home at 4pm and give her a bath straight away ive seen alot of people say this is to late she needs to be bathed before food theres no signs of dehydration and ive not had a problem so far , she baths herself when she wakes up and drinks from her water bowl and often walks through it i see from the camera ( i watch her all day at work as i love her to much ) is this okay to keep doing at this time the lights dont go off till 8 , and she often basks after a bath and sometimes even goes in her water herself after a bath 😂 , in the summer should i do 2 baths a day and wake her up earlier and give her a bath before i go to work and after or is just one enough and also if i go out for the day is it okay to change the time and bath her before incase im not home in time
We call it soaking over here. Bathing implies washing and scrubbing...

In any case, once a day is plenty at any time of the year, but twice a day will not harm anything.

Afternoon/evening soaks are perfectly fine. If you are soaking at 4 and the lights stay on until 8, you have no problem. You can soak any time of day that is convenient for you. I would not do it in the dark, but any time the lights are on is fine.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Got to love a dedicated owner......a camera? LOL, well good for you! If that is cool for you, it's cool. It's what I would tell my daughters too.

And HH, anytime you post that level of detail and you are doing everything right, you must have read the sheets!
Congrats!

FWIW; my Box Turtle wakes with me, at midnight-2:30am and generally she will stick her head out of the leaves around 2, it's when her world comes alive because I leave at 4. She will dig-in every evening early, around 3-4pm.

good luck!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Interestingly, mine is fine if I soak him in the morning (which is the usual time). If I soak him mid-day or later, he gets PISSED. He gets his water ballet exercise in trying to get out... most likely has just hasn't woken up fully yet in the morning...